PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
as much as I like to make fun of over-produced '70s and '80s music,
I know a lot of people share that view, but it's a concept I've never really understood. Is it somehow superior or more artistically valid, to intentionally lower the production values in the studio? Or maybe I'm not getting the point.
As long as the end result does not misrepresent the actual musical abilities of the band, then I see no virtue in under-producing in the studio. But then most of my favorite music is from the '70s, so I'm probably incurable.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
I am a fan of the old TV series called "Northern Exposure." There was a radio program in the series called "Chris in the Morning." The radio station was KBHR in Cicely, Alaska.
At any rate, there is an online live version of the KBHR radio broadcast "Chris in the Morning" every weekday from 7AM to 9AM Eastern Time. The DJ for the online version is just like Chris Stevens from Northern Exposure.
www.kbhr.net
ac7a0a0b9bde5bf095e53e09e6eb1f1e.jpg

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Phil Ochs!!! Now I know of two of his fans: me and bluegrassbrian! Another great one who died too soon.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I think this is just swell.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofy7fJRta7E
That's a great one for sure Beef...one of our all time greatest songwriters. I've long wondered how any 16 year old could possibly write a song like that. I have to say though, I much prefer hearing him sing it to Nico.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
phallbass, shouldn't you be a Pink Floyd fan? :mrgreen:
As to The Who, what about Live at Leeds?
As to Laurie Anderson, what about Big Science and Home of the Brave?
And as to Jethro Tull, just what the hell is an Aqualung anyway??? 8O

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Aqualung is the old-timey name for a scuba tank. Invented, I believe, by Jacques Cousteau.
I have Thick As a Brick on vinyl. The articles on the cover have funny stories. :)
I am one of those Barbarians who doesn't like the sound of Nico's voice. Jackson Brown is good though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqFUmo8VVg0

Dec 28, 2015
I was listening to thick as a brick on vinyl as well Mayfair. And I agree I have never been a fan of Nico's voice either. She was stunningly beautiful but managed to almost ruin some really great songs in her career. But the video Beefeater shared was a rare exception.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I have to say though, I much prefer hearing him sing it to Nico.

I am one of those Barbarians who doesn't like the sound of Nico's voice.

And I agree I have never been a fan of Nico's voice either.
She is quite polarizing, for sure. My brother would not even be in the same room when I played her stuff when we were young! I love her voice/style........ somewhat cold & unemotional, but it just works with some songs, particularly this one. Then again, I'm one of the weird ones, and somewhat prefer the meloncholy/detached/depressed styles............. :crazy:

................sometimes.......... :wink:

Dec 28, 2015
Beefeater I am usually the guy that likes the weird voice that no one else does but I must say I always preferred the live versions of velvet underground songs that had Lou singing her parts. But again that was an awesome video.

Status
Not open for further replies.