What Music Are You Listening to - April 2016?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2015
Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression. Don't know why it took this long for Iggy and Josh Homme to collaborate but glad they finally did.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression.
This is one amazing album. Instant classic!
I'm listening to Sleep's Holy Mountain right now.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Bob Marley - Catch a Fire. The weather is appropriately nice here, yesterday I saw Kevin MacDonald's very good film on Marley and the cellar proved to hold a last bottle of rum. Yah Rule!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
David Bowie's Station to Station album. It was the album he was promoting on his Thin White Duke tour. I saw that tour in the spring of 1976 in Boston Garden. It was the first time I saw Bowie and it was a great show.
I am going to listen to Pink Floyd's live Pulse tour album next. Saw that show in 1993, one of the best I have ever seen. I love Youtube as I can see and listen to old concerts and albums whenever I want.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
NIN: Pretty Hate Machine, one of the greatest albums of all time.
Harris, I thought I was the only one who loved Pulse?! It's a brilliant album!! Saw the show in Denver.

Dec 28, 2015
David Bowie's Station to Station album. It was the album he was promoting on his Thin White Duke tour. I saw that tour in the spring of 1976 in Boston Garden. It was the first time I saw Bowie and it was a great show.
I saw Bowie on that tour in Memphis. It was my first ever concert (I was 12 years old). Quite an experience to say the least. Bowie has always been my favorite artist. It was such a shame to lose him this year.
Also saw Floyd in Nashville in 93'. The only time I ever got to see them. And I agree it was one of the best shows I have ever seen.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
nate, it was great album and an even better concert. I saw them at the stadium the Patriots played(outside of Boston) at back then. It was arguably the best light show I have ever seen. The only one that was in the same league was when Yes was touring for the Tales of Topographic Oceans album. The sound on the Pulse show was incredible, I don't think people understand how great that band is. They are virtuoso musicians and David Gilmour makes his guitar whine like no other.
Gilmour has a style similar to Eric Clapton. The best in my opinion is Steve Howe of Yes. Do a search for some live Yes shows and watch him play. His left hand on the throat is something to behold, no one plays like him. His right hand is also amazing and the only guy similar is Jeff Beck for right hand. Neither uses a pick, just their fingers.
I was a musician( drummer/percussionist) and played in a concert band, orchestra, jazz band, marching band and rock bands so I can understand how hard some of this stuff is to play and just how good some of these guys are.

My favorite drummers were Buddy Rich and Billy Cobham. For strictly rock John Bonham(Led Zeppelin) and Alan White(Yes).

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Harris, I'm only vaguely familiar with Yes, but I'll give them another look. The experience of Pink Floyds Pulse ranks as one of the craziest nights of my life. This was at the very beginning of my Psychedelic Chapter, a chapter with spectacular beginnings matched only by its horrific, life altering ending. The lights and lasers from that show are permanently burned into my brain. I swear I can still see it when I close my eyes. There's no album I'll ever hear again that will reignite such vivid memories. It was spectacularly beautiful, far more "experience" than concert. Anytime that band comes up, I always hear of the longing for the days of Roger Waters and The Wall, but I think they were pretty darn good in the 90's. Great memories!! I love music with a strong, visceral aesthetic. This is why I love NIN :) while I never played an instrument, my two years in rehab was spent with some truly great musicians and I always loved listening to them talk about music.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Nate, I think you will really like Yes, when it comes to progressive rock, Yes and Pink Floyd rule. When I was at the Pulse concert we dropped a hit of blotter acid that was 250 mic's( the best,cleanest acid came from the guys at M.I.T), and the light show was beyond belief. I remember thinking to myself what would an alien race think of this show as their first human experience. lolol I was so tripped out and it was a blast. Watching concert footage on Youtube really takes me back.
For a good Yes show, click on their Yessongs concert footage, it is from like 1972 or so. They had just come out with their Close To The Edge Album. Do a search on the reviews for that album. Interesting stuff.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Wore this album out in college...... just "rediscovered" it, 30 years later....... God Bless You-tube!!.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vJTwbIzBvE&list=PLOTQZ73rSJb8lQiVR7kd7xyadMFg-zw4q&index=8

Status
Not open for further replies.