PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
OK, so it’s just my twisted brain at work here, but all that comes to mind on that lion pipe are two things.
1. It is a stunning piece of carving, a true work of art.
2. I would never be able to erase the thought that I’m sucking on the ass end of that lion every time I smoke it
Whichever meet you decide on, I’m in the camp of just treat it as you would any other pipe. Any small marks or scratches are character and patina.....things to embrace.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I don't understand the hesitation of buying a meerschaum or the thought of screwing up the pipe???
I have never owned one and see people on both sides of the aisle here when I look up a lot of information on meers. It's a lot of money to me to buy something I like, then end up screwing up the coloring by doing something wrong because I don't know what I'm doing. If it were a briar I spent that much on, I wouldn't treat it any differently than any other pipe, but in my mind you see that meer as something more breakable than a briar. Never having owned one before, I just don't want to mess up something I spent that much money on, because I'm not likely to spend that much regularly on a briar. Just me being me.
That being said, I have just watched that guy's video that has been circulating on two other posts, by Bremen Pipe Smoker, and I feel a little better about it. He actually even said that he's treated several pipes differently, i.e. smoking with a glove, holding by the stem and then just handling it like any old briar. He said after even 50 or a 100 smokes in the ones he smoked using different methods, revealed no real difference in how the pipe colored. I think I'm of the mindset that I will just look for something I like, buy it, then just be really careful when I light it so as not to create too much of a mark at the top. Been chomping at the bit to buy one of those eagle claws holding an egg...I love that look.
I would never be able to erase the thought that I’m sucking on the ass end of that lion every time I smoke it
I thought the same damn thing... :rofl:
Not too much on smoking from the back of anything that has a face on it.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
carolina,
First things first, buy the pipes that you like and are in your budget range.I don't think you'll find much pleasure in owning something that stretched your budget and you fear you'll mess it up.
I looked around for over a year before the one and only meer I have showed up, so don't be in a big hurry.
There's no doubt that meers are more breakable..they're essentially soft rocks.
Follow your heart, but don't let it ruin your chequebook.

Jan 8, 2013
An important thing to remember is you don't want to clean a meerschaum with alcohol like you would a briar. Some time ago, a member posted photos of a meer he had cleaned with alcohol and it had caused unsightly black and brown spots all over the pipe.
meer.jpg

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I would buy a WGM Meer from E A Carey’s, with a traditional briar push fit stem, not a screw type. Excellent quality and service.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
FWIW, no alcohol touches my meers, and it's easy to use hot water to flush out the bowl and airway. Paper towel dry the chamber and cleaner though the airway. Meers do not melt or crack under ordinary handling.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Don't sweat about coloring it. All meers color differently, and there isn't much you can do about it.Just smoke it and see how it goes-
I have the egg and claw you mentioned, the shank is coloring but the bowl not so much.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
Can you clean a meerchaum to original or does the staining penetrate deeply? I think I will probably just buy a new one.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have never owned one and see people on both sides of the aisle here when I look up a lot of information on meers. It's a lot of money to me to buy something I like, then end up screwing up the coloring by doing something wrong because I don't know what I'm doing. If it were a briar I spent that much on, I wouldn't treat it any differently than any other pipe, but in my mind you see that meer as something more breakable than a briar. Never having owned one before, I just don't want to mess up something I spent that much money on, because I'm not likely to spend that much regularly on a briar. Just me being me.
Don't worry you can't screw up the coloring. All pipes color differently, and at their own rate. Some color evenly while others color un-evenly. Some color more quickly than others, and some take much longer. Each pipe is different, and that's one of the joys... watching the process of your pipe as you smoke it over time. If you are worried about cost then look at Meerschaum Depot (Pipes and Cigars) and you can find some really nice ones in the $69 and up range. Like I said in my previous post, I have one from them (carved by Muhsin), and I only paid $69 for it and its an awesome pipe that's coloring well.
Some quick do's and don'ts. As Anthony mentioned never use alcohol on the meerschaum. The stem is fine, but not on the meerschaum. If you're worried about charring the rim, then only fill the pipe 3/4 full and use matches to light the pipe. If you do char the rim, don't worry about it as it will just become part of the color on the pipe. When removing the stem turn it clock-wise. Other than that just fill the bowl and enjoy as you would any other pipe. Good luck on finding your new meerschaum pipe.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Can you clean a meerchaum to original or does the staining penetrate deeply? I think I will probably just buy a new one.
If you were to break/chip a colored meerschaum pipe the inside would still be bright white like a brand new meerschaum. If you were to re-wax a meerschaum and get it extremely hot, which I would avoid doing, you could bleach out (for lack of a better term) some of the coloring but you'll never get it to bright white like a new one. Not sure why you would want to though as coloring a meerschaum is part of the enjoyment. Most people will never fully color a meerschaum pipe on their own as they take many years to color. I've bought several estate meerschaum pipes and though they have some coloring to them already I just continue the process. The enjoyment of watching it color is still there.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
If you were to break/chip a colored meerschaum pipe the inside would still be bright white like a brand new meerschaum
Interesting bit of trivia and quite the opposite of what I thought.
I always believed that the colouring in meers was the tobacco tars and juices slowly staining the porous material and working their way from the inside of the bowl to the outer side as the pipe was smoked.
I learn something new every day around here :)

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
@metalheadcigarguy That's all good to hear. I'll check that place out and see what they have. Sounds like a good resource. Yeah, I started thinking about it more and if the rim does char a bit, I reckon it'll just add character. Why is it that you have to turn it clockwise to remove the stem? I've seen that mentioned elsewhere too, but I find that curious. Does that mean to replace the stem you also turn it clockwise?
I always believed that the colouring in meers was the tobacco tars and juices slowly staining the porous material and working their way from the inside of the bowl to the outer side as the pipe was smoked.
I concur. I thought the exact same thing. I'm still learning more and more about these things. So if that's not the case, then is it from the smoke alone as you smoke it that does the coloring? Do the oils from your hands add to it or does it matter at all?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@metalheadcigarguy That's all good to hear. I'll check that place out and see what they have. Sounds like a good resource. Yeah, I started thinking about it more and if the rim does char a bit, I reckon it'll just add character. Why is it that you have to turn it clockwise to remove the stem? I've seen that mentioned elsewhere too, but I find that curious. Does that mean to replace the stem you also turn it clockwise?
If the pipe has a push/pull tenon which is very common with most meerschaum pipes today, you'll want to turn the stem clock-wise so not to remove the plastic fitting from the stem or the shank. If you don't it's not the end of the world and it won't break the pipe, but over time it can damage the fitting on the shank, so it's best to just turn clock-wise to avoid any potential issues.
Interesting bit of trivia and quite the opposite of what I thought.
I learn something new every day around here
That is true. The porous nature of the meerschaum naturally absorbs the tars/oils etc., and for lack of a better term, wicks them out. The beeswax on the pipe holds the tars/oils etc. to the surface of the pipe which allows us to see the color. This is why the inside remains white and only the outside shows color.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
People always talk lions, claw-&-eggs, sultans, etc., but I don't think I've seen anyone mention Bacchus yet. My only real meer (i.e., not meerlined) is a Bacchus my wife gave me for Xmas bookoodles of years ago. I haven't smoked it in years; I really need to dig it out of storage & put some leaf in it. It really is a beautiful piece [or was the last I saw it. :)].

Status
Not open for further replies.