What McClelland Bulk Is Most Like Christmas Cheer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I love any and all Christmas Cheers. I just ordered 3 tins of the 2015. Which bulk McClelland offering do you folks think is most like CC? I fully understand that CC is a matured, aged, special offering, so I don't expect a bulk to be the same, but just wondering what bulk might approach the amazing sweet, zesty, citrusy flavor the most.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
5100 is a red va and is pretty good especially with some age on it. You have to remember that Christmas cheer comes from already aged leaf.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Actually McClellend's Old World Cake is pretty much like the 2011-2012 CC which used orange Va, OWC is composed of Orange and lemon Va's. It's basically CC in bulk to me but not exactly the same obviously, but close enough to satisfy.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Tarak, Tudor Castle is one of those blends that I find bright, sweet, fruit forward, and just a delightful smoke. Christmas Cheer changes year over year, but Tudor Castle plays in some of the same flavour categories. It is definitely worth investigating. Also, I have it on good authority that it ages very, very nicely.
-- Pat

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I remember reading somewhere (so take this for whatever that is worth) that CC is one of the varietals that go on to become 5100. The selected varietal depends on the quality of crop, but the remainder goes on to become one element among many blended for consistency in 5100.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Pruss Tudor Castle sounds great, I love Perique, and I love McClelland Virginias, but don't combine them but. Why? Who knows! I should start!
bigpond that is interesting info and that kind of direction I was going for. I'm definitely not trying to start one of those "I love this tobacco so which cheaper tobacco is exactly like it"...but I do think there's a flavor profile in some of the McClellands I'm just trying to dig at.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I did mention in my OP that I realized it is pre-matured and age. I full have my head wrapped around the fact that I will not find CC in anything but CC.
However, I'd love to get something in a similar category to stick in the cellar and get happy. Fortunately I only smoke a couple times a week, have several tins aged 2001-2014 in the cellar, and 3 more on the way. Every year I'm buying a few so I'm building up a nice supply faster than I smoke it!

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I have not had any of the recent McClelland x-mas cheer is several years, and when I did have it around to smoke it had additional age on it, so my memories may be a bit off, but all of the x-mas cheer I smoked was broken flake and reminded me of very well aged 2010 or 2015, so I would suggest picking up a 5 pound bag of either, seal them in mason jars and forget them for about a decade and you will have a wonderful smoke. In fact, I pretty much smoke only 10 year old 2015 and occasionally 10 year old 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.