What Makes A Dunhill Lighter Worthy of $850?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So true, as well as the same anti biases being repeated.
I agree that neither an iPhone nor a fine lighter are actual investments. Now, if you buy a gross of Dunhill lighters knowing you may be able to sell them in ten years for ten times the cost, that's an investment.... Though closer to a speculation.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yeah, I think that the term "investment" carries multiple meanings these days. Perhaps the return is seen as having something of quality and beauty (now imbued with the intangible properties of time and possession by a loved one) to pass on to your child. Having inherited my father's prized 1972 Sears Craftsman radial arm saw, I understand this line of thought.
As for starting a pipe tobacco company, the jury is still out on whether or not there will be a return on our investment. But either way, none of us thought that it was a particularly smart thing to do!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Once you get into the rarified ether of luxury goods for wealthy folks, price and function and even art aren't strictly relevant. Higher end brands and designer anything, the sky is the limit on price. As a parallel, designer clothing is designed and sewn by hand, but once that's done, the price is the greatest fantasy of all. Seven thousand dollars for a suit? Well of course. You don't want to be wearing rags, do you? Just pull a breathtaking sum out of the air, and there's your price. Mostly, the customer wants to know that other people cannot afford it. That elicits a sigh of contentment, and the credit card.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
woods: Sometimes you just gotta trust your whimsical side! Roll the dice and revel in the fun and learning.
The comfort of a handmade/tailored suit, if one can afford it, is akin to the comfort of a well made, properly proportioned, great smoking, pipe in the fist.
If the price is breathtaking ... well, I probably wouldn't buy such. Unless one noticed the functional sleeve buttons and other such touches, one wouldn't have the foggiest idea of what my suits used to cost. But, the comfort of wearing a well fitted suit ... nearly priceless. Certainly there is a bit of vanity and not some little some celebration at having attained enough wealth to live as one prefers and not as one must. It's all in the perspective of the buyer and the members of the peanut gallery.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I can stil buy a lot of cobs and I only enjoy a handful of blends. Cobs are disposables for me, ugly but, very efficient smokers, great when working or playing out of doors. It's all personal choice as the wise man above stated.
If you are content to smoke cobs only, more power to you. I'm not wired that way, I enjoy the feel of a well turned pipe in my hand as I smoke, it's an integral part of the experience. Not every smoker desires such and that's the reason the market is so varied. And, no one needs to justify their choices to another.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
Personally I'm not a fan of Dunhill accessories but do have a small collection of ST Dupont and Davidoff lighters. The craftmanship, attention to detail, materials (mine are mostly lacquer and palladium or gold), etc. make them worth the $1,000+ price tag. Why does a Montblanc pen cost more than a Bic?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some of us would love to see photos of your collection! I hanker after a DuPont lighter, but it'd half to be from some one's estate.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Only if you’d pay it. I have an old boy I spent $100 on. Better than a bic? Not really. But it’s the cool factor and aesthetic you pay for.

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
Why buy tools from Snap-On instead of Harbor Freight? Why buy shoes from Allen Edmonds or Alden instead of DSW? Why buy fine wine instead of two buck chuck?
Why buy an Ivarsson instead of a Grabow?
FWIW, and different than the original question, used Dunhill and S.T. Dupont lighters are a great discount from new, and a joy to own. I have Zippo, Corona Old Boy, Dunhill and Dupont lighters, and they are all more enjoyable than a BIC.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I love Bics they are cheap and reliable. I have an estate Dunhill lighter that I bought for 20$, it’s a cool lighter but I still prefer Bics, and matches.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
What Makes A Dunhill Lighter Worthy of $850?
The same thing that makes 1930's John Deere technology sell for $15-20k. :crazy:
harley.jpg

Flame suit on... :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Get an Old Boy if you wish for a nice lighter. I would recommend against the black matte finish as it will wear off if you keep it in your pocket. The Pipemaster they sell is also really good and will be in with the Old Boy selections. Larger fuel reserve and they come with a tamp as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
IMCoronaOldBoyNaturalBriarPipeLighter.jpg

This one is awesome.
I find that the so called pipe masters don't do as well with pipes as the old boys. Personal preference, of course.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I have several Xikar cigar lighters and their Scribe

Pipe lighter. I have the Old Boy and assorted impulse

buys. But, I use generic Bics around home and take the

Scribe when out and about. Take the Old Boy when I go

out with the wife, go to pipe club, lodge, etc..

I just ordered this guy just i liked it.

51rVDbJTmlL._AC_SY200_.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just ordered this guy just i liked it.
Thought about getting one myself a few years ago, then I read this.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lighters-help-me-choose-one#post-910619

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I use an old boy look alike that i got from Mr. Brog on Amazon for 18 dollars and it works just fine. It looks just like the real deal for a fraction of the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.