PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I bought the $10 "Panama Jack" lighter when I began using a pipe.
I knew it wouldn't last, but wasn't sure my piping would, either.
It's recently gotten flaky and I'm looking to step up a notch.
I really like the form factor. What is similar but more dependable? Budget of around $50.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
There are endless options it seems these days, after looking over the lighters pipesandcigars offers. I recently purchased this Vertigo lighter, and I'm happy with it. I thought I wouldn't like the integrated tools, but they've come in handy. I prefer piezo to flint, but I don't have much experience with higher end lighters. Just my 2 bits.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I used to chase the expensive lighters, and even own a couple. I prefer Bics and Zippos though. If you must however, IM Coronas and Kiribis get high marks.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been planning on purchasing a Kiribi or the Peterson version. But when out and about I will probably still be using my Pipe Zippo.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Zippo. That's the answer. You cannot beat a Zippo. Inexpensive, easy to maintain, and reliable.
Cheers,
Chili

Jul 12, 2011
I have an entire drawer of $50 lighters that have all failed at one point or another, perhaps just my bad luck +1 with others here; Zippo or save up and go for the IM Cornoa Pipemaster ( I was just looking over that one ).
My go-to lighters now; Zippo and IM Corona Old Boy, both lighters have never failed me

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
philo is correct. The Pipemaster from IM Corona is a work horse. I have tried many of the 50.00 and they all break within a few months. I would save up for the extra 50.00.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
If your looking at the long haul...Zippo, of course, but for a butane (which is my choice for a pipe lighter) The IM Corona line as well as the Kiribi brand stand out for around $100.
I've found the piezo electric ignition as found on some to be problematic after a few years.
You could take it up way more than a notch in price and not get a more functional or long lasting butane than the Old Boy or Kiribi.
On the other hand, I have a 'Thunderbird' insert for a zippo that I haven't broken yet, it was around $20.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have a slim IM Corono Old Boy since December. Simply loving it, the most reliable lighter I have ever owned - it even out ranks ST Dupont in my opinion. If you don't mind bulky, the new xicar variant is very inexpensive and reliabel
https://www.ebay.com/p/XIKAR-Resource-Lighter-Black-Gunmetal/1586494996

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I have all but two lighters mentioned in this thread. The Kiribi is by far the best of the lot in my opinion.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah just don't drop that thing.
No kidding. I dropped mine once, now I can't keep fuel in it. Just keep it around to look at now. All of that cash could have gone on tobacco. :crying:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
balkisobrains there was a rubber gasket that was worn by time, and it leaked gas. I had it replaced, for an enormous sum of money, considering that we are talking about a small piece of rubber. But then again if you can afford a Dupont Gatsby you don't ask how much fixing costs. Truth be told, I bought mine from a flea market - as I believe that EUR 400 for a lighter is outrageous, so I cannot know how abused the lighter was by the previous owner. The corona on the other hand, now that's something I feel much more comfortable with :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.