PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
The clipper is a great lighter and you can change the flint by pulling out the tube.

Thanks, oms. It's too bad that Clippers appear to be mainly marketed to the stoner crowd. I think that turns off a lot of people that might otherwise be interested.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1 for Kiribi lighters. Well made, hold tons of fuel and are flint ignition. That and a mini Bic and you're good to go.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Zippos: Sturdy, nostalgic, flames in wind, ubiquitous. But quick to lose fuel, odor to fuel.

Butane: Elegant, long fuel supply, odorless, easy to refuel. But wind can blow out flame easily.
I have had good experience with Kiribi, IM Corona, AND Xicar, all Old Boy styles. ($50-200)

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I had two Old Boy IM Coronas. They are great. I had a nice briar Old Boy that developed a small problem with gas flow. I sent it in for a repair, and $15 later had a fully working lighter again, with new parts. I used it for maybe 10 years and in all kinds of different environments until that point, then gave it to a friend who's still getting much use out of it.
So, from my experience, maintenance is very low cost.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
The ONLY thing that fails that You can't fix on a zippo is the hinge...however for the cost of postage, you get it back with a new insert, good as new.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A zippo was good enough for my grandpa, and my dad, so it must be good enough for me!
Model T for Grandpa; '54 Buick for my Dad, would love to have them for fun, but wouldn't drive them more than a few miles on a bet! But that analogy doesn't really hold; Zippos were great then, and are good today.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Was looking to see if anyone had a 4th Generation Pipe Lighter? The reviews on PC says to replace the Flint and drain the butane. That seems more my budget for a light so wondering if anyone here agrees.
Typically use matches but that is because my pipe light insert for my Zippo burned my fingers. The flame was too close to the push button.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Was looking to see if anyone had a 4th Generation Pipe Lighter? The reviews on PC says to replace the Flint and drain the butane. That seems more my budget for a light so wondering if anyone here agrees.
The 4th Generation are just a rebranded version of a Mr. Brog. I have compared them side by side, and there can be no doubt.

The Mr. Brog version can be had for about $25. I bought and used one for while, but found it to have two pretty major issues(for me). The first being that the flame tube is able to rotate somewhat freely, which resulted in an exciting lighting experience as you never really knew which direction the flame was going to shoot out. Second, I personally find the flint wheel location on virtually all Old Boy clones to be counter intuitive and fiddly. I ended up giving it to a friend, and he too abandoned it after a short time.
Matches are my first choice and I always use them for the first light regardless of where I am. If I am feeling lazy or outside, I use a Zippo for relights. I may be an outlier as I have always used a plain old Zippo without a pipe insert. I did just acquire one with the insert so I guess I'll see how that goes.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, the $10 Panama Jack JetLine lighter came back in stock at P&C, so I grabbed another to get me by until I figure out what I like better.
I know it's likely to crap out after 6 months, but I do really like the ergonomics and flame. This one is getting good butane from the start, whereas the first started life with an old can of cheap fuel I already had. Maybe that will make a difference.
So, thanks again for all the great ideas. The quest goes on, at a more relaxed pace.
BTW, Cap'n. I am surrounded by nimrods but none seem interested in lighting my pipe! :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Thanks badbeard. Saved myself some cash, and will stick with my 3X300 pack of matches (which cost maybe 3.50).

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
You could always buy an old Beattie Jet off of the bay and get the best of both worlds - A lighter in the same vein as a Zippo, but with the sideways flame that many seem to like..

I've always wanted one, even if they are pocket flamethrowers.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My personal experience with lighters have shown a consistent direct relationship to price and the time it takes to lose it or have it stolen. The higher the price, the sooner I lose it or someone steals it. I lost a ST DuPont, years ago, within two weeks of purchasing it while playing golf. I hate zippos because I remember overruling one as a kid, putting it in my pocket and have the fuel soak my privates on a hot summer day. I didn't realize that crap was sulfuric acid as that's how it felt and caused substantial, and I mean really substantial, pain. I would eat the tobacco before I'd light my pipe with a Zippo because it brings back the memory of that pain.
With that said, I have a Vector and some other cheap butane pipe lighter with a black matte finish that have worked just fine. If they break or I lose one, I pull out a $20 and I'm set.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That's how I am with sun glasses.
It only takes one set of Ray Ban or Oakleys blowing off my face at 70 mph to alter my buying habits.
Now, I buy industrial safety glasses (clear and tinted) by the case for an average of $1.50 a pair.
Lost? No problem. Scratched? Toss 'em. Guy you don't even like needs a pair? Screw it. Here ya go...
Most of my pipe smoking is at home, so any "nice" lighter I get will mostly reside there. The Clipper/Bic goes in the pocket for excursions, usually. The only person I need to impress already lives with me... :lol:
jay-roger.jpg

Jun 27, 2016
Another Panama Jack after all of that, huh? That is funny! If you like them, go back and buy five more! :puffy:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Another Panama Jack after all of that, huh? That is funny! If you like them, go back and buy five more!
I DO like the format/ergonomics. Not impressed with longevity on unit #1. Unit #2 is a stopgap measure and the quest goes on.
Hey! This is post #1000 and you guys haven't kicked me out yet... :worship:
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.