PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's the great thing about Zippo lighters. Lifetime warranty and free repairs.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I can't find too many pipe lighters that are of similar form factor to that "Panama Jack" lighter you referred to. I can think of Xikar's pipe lighter, e.g. Xikar Resource pipe lighter and Resource II pipe lighter to be of similar form factor and at around the price range. I don't know if they are more reliable though, I believe they are all made in China, like the iPhones; but Xikar is a larger brand and has good warranty policy as far as I know.
As reasonable updates, you can have:

- IM Corono Old Boy, made in Japan, with a starting price of around $120;

- Dunhill Unique (the original Old Boy design), made in English, with a starting price of around £280;

- Zippo pipe lighter, made in USA, starts at about $20;

- Dupont lighter line 2, made in France, can be equipped with an angled flame, starting at about $600.
Bic lighters are also reliable, but with just a few more bucks I would get a new Zippo or even a used one instead.

I use Zippo fuel at home, but I also tried various Zippo butane inserts and I use them when I carry my Zippo. The quality of these Zippo butane inserts is improving and they are becoming more reliable.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Well, don't get me wrong, Du Ponts are very good lighters. In fact, all I said was that I like my corona better, through this cost point of view alone. Once I changed that o ring on it, it works fantastic again. As long as the flint is above half, it lights on the first roll, flame stays stable across its load (which is quite a decent one), and that click when flipping open is quite a sound. I also saw a video on how some guy ordered parts from ebay, and managed to make the flame go side ways making it even better for the pipe, but I don't think I am handy enough to venture in that direction. The only down side, literally, of the du pont is its weight - it puts a hole through your pocket. The corona is a different experience all together, and you are right - I have yet to drop it on the floor, thanks for the advice by the way.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
chasingembers life time warranty is something that sounds very comforting, but quite frankly i NEVER had a zippo that needed servicing. Their mechanism is so simple, that there is hardly anything that can go wrong there.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Side-wise flames or directional flanges are a drawback for this lighter guy. Like 'em simple and Old Boy style. Have a good Xicar made one. Their Resource model is not attractive looking, though it may work all right.

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
A zippo was good enough for my grandpa, and my dad, so it must be good enough for me!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a Zippo with the pipe insert and I only use it if I am in the wind outside. I really dislike the flame as it is very hard to control and it can torch the rims of my pipes much more so than the angled flames of my Old Boy's, Pipemaster's or Davidoff pipe lighter.
I have a number of Dupont lighters but they are all designed for cigars.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Jaytex mentioned that he liked the Panama Jack lighter's form factor. I can vouch for the Xikar Resource and JetLine angled flame lighters. The linked JetLine isn't the exact model I have, which doesn't appear to be available any longer, but it has the same basic look.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When it comes to lighters I'm an unabashed snob. Bic lighters should absolutely not be anywhere near a good briar pipe. Only matches, Zippos, or Old Boy style lighters should be used to light a pipe in my opinion.
I'm a fan of the Old Boy style lighters. I've had an IM Corona and a Peterson for a few years now. They work wonderfully in my garage mancave. Outside when it's windy it can be a bit of a bugger to light the pipe.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve had an IM Corona Old Boy for going on 20 years. My only complaint is that it doesn’t do well with any wind. Other than that it’s been a trooper.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Thanks, all, for the input, opinions and lively discussion.
I might have mentioned that I do have several Zippo's, from the cig smoking days. I don't like the flavor of them very much.
I've been looking hard at the Xikar Resource II.
A zippo was good enough for my grandpa, and my dad, so it must be good enough for me!
My grampa ate pickled herring and my dad had a coal burning stove for the first ten years of his life. I think I'll take a pass... :nana:
If you spend time on a sail boat, you soon learn how to use hands to shield enough of the wind.
I drove a humvee for 18 months in a desert warfare unit. I could roll a smoke and light it with a sand clogged Bic while doing 40 over rough terrain with no roof or doors. :puffy:
The Thunderbird Zippo insert is picking up steam as a second choice. I've got reliability concerns, but, for the price, I might give it a whirl.
The Panama Jack, which I believe is a Jetline, or a good knockoff, still has electric spark and gas flow. It's just not connecting for some reason. I may dissect it for science, after I replace it.
Anyone with the Xicar, any similar problems? Any speculations on why the Panama has spark and gas, but no flame? What's the longest service life anyone has gotten from a piezo/butane device?
Thanks again.
jay-roger.jpg

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
The Panama Jack, which I believe is a Jetline, or a good knockoff, still has electric spark and gas flow. It's just not connecting for some reason. I may dissect it for science, after I replace it.
Anyone with the Xicar, any similar problems? Any speculations on why the Panama has spark and gas, but no flame? What's the longest service life anyone has gotten from a piezo/butane device?
The problem you're talking about is common with torch lighters, but I haven't experienced it with soft flame lighters. The usual suggestion is to purge the lighter before refilling it. The idea is to purge whatever non-flammable gasses are part of the butane mixture. I've had soft flame piezo-ignition lighters for over four years that still perform well.
I've only had the Xikar Resource II for a couple of months, but no problems so far. No failure to light issues with the JetLine lighters either. Their fuel tank is small, but they light when they have fluid.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I too like the Crocs lighter from Dollar Tree. At $1 it is a great pipe lighter, especially for lighting a deep bowl.
I use a Zippo Pipe Lighter exclusively in my car (lights on the first strike everytime, so no fuss), and I have a Xikar Pipeline (their take on the Old Boy), which works great but I haven't owned it long enough to be able to speak about long term durability.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Zippo, Zippo, Zippo, with a clipper back up.

I rely mostly on Zippos, but I've been meaning to pick up a couple of Clippers ever since someone here (possibly you?) was singing their praises a couple of months back. They appear to be nearly perfect lighters; cheap, BIC-similar form factor, butane, refillable, built-in "tamper", etc.
I'm curious about why you suggest the Clipper as a backup rather than a primary lighter. Is it just because it doesn't stand up as well in the wind or is there some other reason?

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
I use a Zippo as my main lighter but have a clipper as a back up for when the Zippo runs out of fuil. The clipper is a great lighter and you can change the flint by pulling out the tube.

I love my Zippo’s and think they are the greatest lighter available.

Status
Not open for further replies.