PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I've been on the Zippo fence (and I do want a Pipemaster) but found a Mr. Brog branded brass pipe zippo for $15 online so pulled the trigger based on so many zippo users here.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Scratch that, canceled my Mr. Brog order from Amazon, because ordering it directly from Brog, with free shipping and current code listed on their website totaled $6.80.

Now the wait is on to see if this is a real Zippo, or even brass, lol.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
I bought a zippo pipe lighter but could never get back the fluid. Why would I ruin get aged tobacco with bad tasting fluid.

I considered an IM Corona but since they don't work in the wind, they really have no benefit over high quality matches. These days I just use matches.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I use a Corona old boy and it has always worked perfectly. Really like it.

My thoughts exactly. With all the money I spent on lesser quality lighters that all crapped out I could have started with an Old Boy and saved a bunch of frustration. I actually bought a Pipemaster first but it seemed to have problems at altitude here in Denver. The Old Boy is just a joy to use.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I have a Kiribi Kabuto that I would recommend highly. Nice flame, easy to fill and adjust, and has been rock solid for almost a year. Not cheap, but good, similar to an old boy. No altitude related issues, even at 6,500 feet.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
the linse lighter only lasted me a week before running out. A bic lasts much longer for a much lower price.
Get an old style Im corona pipemaster with the off switch on the side and no tool. Holds more gas and works perfectly and you wont burn your finger like the new style.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
First choice, when possible, are wooden matches.
Second choice is a quality Old Boy style. IM Corona, Kiribi, or Peterson. Worth the investment. Don't throw good money after bad. Xicar, Colibri, et al are too unreliable. I hear their cigar lighters are good, but The pipe lighters aren't inexpensive enough to qualify as disposable and that's what I've done with most of mine -- disposed of them. I've never owned a knockoff Old Boy, but reports are generally poor.
Third, JetLine flint lighter. Not the best ergonomics, but has been reliable.
The petroleum-fueled lighters like Zippo and Nimrod work GREAT, but mine evaporate their fuel far too fast.
The Linse lighters are a fantastic backup lighter. Small fuel capacity makes them impractical as your primary lighter. I bought a 50-pack and shared them with my pipe club buddies. $1 each.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeah, I do have that one complain about the Zippo: most of the fuel ends up evaporating instead of burning. Keeping my Zippo on my desk, I'm getting continuous whiffs of fuel.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I use my zippo pipe lighter as well, but the xzikar scribe is a wonderful little lighter and has yet to let me down

warranty is good and not as expensive as the corona's

That being said there is still something nice about the trusty old match stick...

Whatever you decide on...just keep 'em lit

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Update: The Dr.Brog Pipe "Zippo" is a made in china POS that I didn't even give the satisfaction of being lit.

I did order a real zippo and am honestly underwhelmed by it so far.
I have an IM Corona double (Zippo style, two flame, butane fueled) and vintage NOS Savinelli IM Corona (90s styling but essentially a pipe master in functionality) on the way.

Pretty sure one of those is gonna work out.

snjy

Lurker
Apr 7, 2018
i just bought a matte silver Peterson 'Thinking Man' lighter and love it. It has an antique style, adjustable flame, butane fueled, flint lit, tons of style and class is a joy to use and fits nicely with my Peterson pipes and ashtrays. I guess I just love the brand. It was $100 but i feel it was worth it. a very satisfying purchase. Excellent feel, nice mechanism, solid and sturdy and tend to use my pipe indoors at home.
I have another generic butane pipe lighter combo tool that's also butane fueled, flintless and was about $30 for travel use. The Peterson lighter just has that special feel and that is part of what the pipe experience is for me overall.
i'm new to the lifestyle, a few months in and really enjoying it :).
nice to be part of this community!
cheer :)

chadinstl

Lurker
Apr 1, 2018
I vote for the Zippo. I took a regular Zippo and sent it to the repair clinic asking them to put the pipe lighting insert in. They did at no cost and they sent back the original insert. Best part was the Zippo was a free promo from Marlboro so it didn't cost me but 3.50 to mail it off!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Still getting along with my second $10 JetLine but still studying the offerings.
That Kiribi Kabuto is gaining some traction in my mind.
A fellow at my local pipe club has taught himself how to fully refurbish Dunhill lighters and usually has some for sale.
I'm in no hurry, until the current one breaks....
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.