PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have been wondering what is an overwhelming pipe tobacco in as far as strength. I for one have found Brown no. 4 by SG the strongest I have tasted, not overwhelming in my opinion, although I would rate it anywhere in between very strong and extremely strong. Tobaccoreviews.com rates it strong, strong being a 7/10 on their scale, overwhelming being 10/10, extremely strong being 9/10 and very strong 8/10. I have yet to find one tobacco on the renown site to be more than 8/10, and that is SG Black XX Twist. I am sure there are stronger tobaccos out there. Out of curiosity, not necessarily a bomb fan, but what is the strongest you have tried? How far up the scale is it as far as strength ?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Embers so you may be on of those 2.2% of people that rated XX Twist as medium !? :lol: I always wondered what people from that minority of reviewers consider strong ...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Embers so you may be on of those 2.2% of people that rated XX Twist as medium !?
I've only ever reviewed one tobacco on TR as I don't take the site seriously.
I always wondered what people from that minority of reviewers consider strong ...
I've yet to find anything strong in a pipe, they just taste nice.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I find GH&C's Dark Flake (U/S) to hit me stronger than Brown No. 4, even though the ropes may have more actual nicotine.I wonder if the difference is fire-cured burley in DF versus fire-cured VAs in the ropes? Along with those two, Conniston Cut Plug, MacBaren Bold Kentucky, C&D Old Joe Krantz have a strong effect on me. These are all my breakfast, nicotine-withdrawal smokes.
Still to try: Billy Budd and Big N' Burley by C&D, War Horse, and more of the GH&C flakes, plugs and ropes

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Yeah, Bold Kentucky kind of took me by surprise. Based on Jaytex's rec, I bought a tin. I love it, and even though he mentioned its stoutness, I didn't expect it to be up there with the GH&C tobaccos. For me, it is. Great stuff, IMO. I like it almost as much as Dark Flake, and luckily, it's readily available.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
The strongest ones I smoke more or less regularly are HH Bold Kentucky and G&H Dark birds eye. I have tried some of the G&H ropes many years ago and found them nice and strong.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Bold Kentucky and Old Joe Krantz are up there with the strongest I've ever had. Great stuff!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Cotton Boll was the strongest pipe tobacco I’ve smoked but then again it’s not even really pipe tobacco. That’s like asking someone what their favorite strong lite beer is. I’m sure it would affect me if I weren’t such a nicotine addict before picking up the pipe but I literally have nicotine flowing through my veins 16 hours out of the day. Nothing really affects me anymore and please don’t mistake this for bragging, I’m not particularly proud of this fact but it is indeed a fact of my life, being tolerant to nicotine does not make me a manly man, in fact I would argue the opposite, it’s a weakness of mine.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
prairiedruid said it..."The sample of the original War Horse Bar is the strongest thing I've smoked."
Big thanks again to Ashdigger for his generosity.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Gawith's Revor Plug and Brown No4 Twist are the strongest I've smoked, EA Carey's Dark Flake No7 was also right up there in the strength department.
Chris

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I love the taste of G&H Kendal Kentucky but it is too strong for me to smoke regularly. But man, it tastes so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.