Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
What do you think is your smoothest blend? Something you reach for when you just want a nice, smooth smoke that isn't a flavor bomb, lat bomb or flake you have to work at?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Various favorites are smooth, but there are more than a few. To recommend one milder and refined English, for one example, I think Nat Sherman 536 is primo. It has a little burley which always appeals to me, but it plays a quieter role than most of my blends with burley. The whole blend is impressively understated. For Americana I like Russ O.'s Log Cabin, and for burleys I like a list.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I would have to say Mac Baren HH Burley Flake. The bowl I smoked today reminded me of chocolate cream. Mmmmm.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Smooth is a tough descriptor to quantify, but I think you defined it well. I’d have to say we’ll aged Pease Piccadilly. I’m finishing the last few ounces of an 8oz foil bag from 2003, and it has darkened and just eased off the bright VA edges - delicious!

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Solani Silver Flake or MacBaren HH Burley Flake.
Just a tad of additional strenght wouldn't hurt though.

I cannot say what is my smoothest blend. I have enjoyed almost everything so far, except aromatics. Even in aromatics I liked Black Frigate, Essenza Cipriota, etc...

However, I crave variety... I sort of get bored if I smoke the same blend for a long time. I keep 10 - 12 tins open at any given time, and randomly select any one to smoke.

Having said that ... the following blends need special mention

Dunhill Nightcap
Dunhill London Mixture
Dunhill Durbar
Escudo Navy De Luxe
Tabac Manil La Brumeuse
Orlik Golden Sliced
Blackhouse
... (Maybe) Penzance

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
In a certain sense, dark flake scented, only because I always expect more spice, scent, and generally connote Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. with more overwhelming tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.