PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2018
Czech tool of course! There is however a huge difference in quality between a Czech tool stamped 'MADE IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA' versus one stamped 'MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC' versus an all together knock-off made in guess where. The original being solid and never having any sharp edges for example. I use a ball peen hammer and an anvil to adjust my Czechoslovakia tool. One small strike with flat side of hammer against the brass hinge of tool to tighten, while one small ball side of hammer strike (tap) directly towards center of hinge to loosen.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and MrTom

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I need one of the “MADE IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA” ones! I use a stainless steel folding pipe tool. I like having a tamper, blade and pick available. Also something that is light, durable and is easy to carry in a pocket. I am planning to get a horseshoe nail, just appeals to me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and MrTom

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
This:

001-545-0237.jpg

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
612161226123Amongst her many artistic skills my wife is a jewelry designer. Once, I mentioned to her that I would like her to make a simple tamper for me in silver sometime.
She surprised me and designed and carved this “tamper” to resemble my favorite cat.
It is 18k gold with genuine Alexandrite's for eyes along with several sapphires and diamonds. To her dismay I can’t bring myself to use it for the intended purpose and so I keep it displayed as sculpture.
Ironically, I use roofing nails most of the time as my everyday tampers.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I find that a squashed pipe nail or golf tee work very well for me and if i lose them ..it's not a huge loss...

Of course I never lose crap that costs a 1$

:)

Old expression regarding pocket knives, also applies here...

You will lose an expensive knife the first day you carry it, but you can throw a cheap knife out your car window and it will be on your dresser when you get home.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
View attachment 6121View attachment 6122View attachment 6123Amongst her many artistic skills my wife is a jewelry designer. Once, I mentioned to her that I would like her to make a simple tamper for me in silver sometime.
She surprised me and designed and carved this “tamper” to resemble my favorite cat.
It is 18k gold with genuine Alexandrite's for eyes along with several sapphires and diamonds. To her dismay I can’t bring myself to use it for the intended purpose and so I keep it displayed as sculpture.
Ironically, I use roofing nails most of the time as my everyday tampers.
In for the win! That is one gorgeous piece of work. I couldn't bring myself to tamp with it either, unless I fixed something to the foot to take the heat.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You are right in assuming gold is a great thermal conductor ( 3rd after #1. silver, #2. copper) but the contact when tamping down burning tobacco is so brief there is little time for any significant heat transfer.

There's enough heat to lift or damage a gold or silver veneer.

Reactions: MrTom
Status
Not open for further replies.