New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still in search for a good pipe lighter. I use both Bics and a Zippo, and both have their own limitations.

BIC has a metal guard which gets hot and burns my thumb. On the other hand, Zippo is high maintenance, and it is not effective if I have overfilled a bowl.

I bought a well constructed Chinese knock of lighter yesterday - it has fantastic looks, a set of pipe tools BUT a torch. I am not sure who needs a pipe lighter with a torch.

I bought another Chinese knock of today from Amazon. I am really hoping this would be the one.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Although I prefer specialized pipe lighters just for the ounce of style, it is really just as easy to light the pipe with a basic BIC (or similar) lighter if held properly.

I've seen this picture here and it was a light-bulb moment, a revelation:
Pipe Lighting :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/pipe-lighting.72348/page-2#post-35993040
20190916_032851-jpg.4698

That thumb looks awfully familiar.?

I use it most of the time, and as you mentioned above. But the metal starts getting hot and I still burn the thumb sometimes. Embers asked below how much time I keep the lighter lit - I am assuming 4-7 seconds.
Although I prefer specialized pipe lighters just for the ounce of style, it is really just as easy to light the pipe with a basic BIC (or similar) lighter if held properly.

I've seen this picture here and it was a light-bulb moment, a revelation:
Pipe Lighting :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/pipe-lighting.72348/page-2#post-35993040

Reactions: JOHN72 and MrTom

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use it most of the time, and as you mentioned above. But the metal starts getting hot and I still burn the thumb sometimes. Embers asked below how much time I keep the lighter lit - I am assuming 4-7 seconds.
Once struck, my thumb is only on the trigger but the lighter is only burning for 1-2 seconds.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yup, a very long burn for me would be 4 seconds or more.

Now, as to the lighter you did get- what? Link or photo!
I have a torch which I love and use- only in very high winds or if nothing else is handy,

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Here's my three regulars.

I found the blue "Panama Jack" version of the Jetline on special at P&C. I love the form factor but they eventually give up the ghost. This is my 3rd one.

The IM Corona was a forum buy and works great. The Xikar Scribe clips in a pocket like a pen. It also works great but has a much smaller tank.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I am still in search for a good pipe lighter. I use both Bics and a Zippo, and both have their own limitations.
I bought another Chinese knock of today from Amazon. I am really hoping this would be the one.

I went through that search and if I would have just bought one really great lighter at the beginning I would have saved a bunch of time and $.
Buy a Matte Black IM Corona Pipemaster, its the best bang for the buck.
No issues with it ever not sparking, no mechanicals to worry about, no burning yourself, and no dirty flints.
I've got two now (one for if I feel fancy) and I'm guessing I'll never need a third.
e3RRFFO.jpg

Last edited:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
BICs most of the time. If I'm sitting in my den, it's this. Still uses a BIC but with some hemp line.
WXqh88o.jpg

Reactions: MrTom

2Barrels

Lurker
Nov 15, 2019
I came close to ordering either a Peterson or Kiribi Kubuto (sp?) but ended up with a cheap bic mega lighter twin pack. I seldom smoke outside of home and the bic seems to work just fine.
I can still see how a smart lighter would be an attractive addition to the hobby.

Reactions: MrTom
Status
Not open for further replies.