PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
The ones I have are barely large enough to light a cigarette. Are there new ones?

Mine hasn’t arrived in the mail yet but looking at the design it should be nearly the perfect pipe lighter. These get me particularly excited since I have a lot of tall chimney pipes.

I’ve also got some of the triple arc models coming, those aren’t in such a slim profile but they should still work for wider and more shallow bowls.

As long as they can burn enough material to start a flame in the bowl and don’t totally die in less than a year I can’t imagine using anything else more often than these, especially in Winter when gas based lighters almost all stop working.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine hasn’t arrived in the mail yet but looking at the design it should be nearly the perfect pipe lighter. These get me particularly excited since I have a lot of tall chimney pipes.

I’ve also got some of the triple arc models coming, those aren’t in such a slim profile but they should still work for wider and more shallow bowls.

As long as they can burn enough material to start a flame in the bowl and don’t totally die in less than a year I can’t imagine using anything else more often than these, especially in Winter when gas based lighters almost all stop working.
Keep us updated on that one.?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and MrTom

MrTom

Lifer
Oct 20, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
I’ve got a few Zippos but they seem basically useless to me with the amount of wind you’d need to generate from puffing to actually get the flame to interact with the tobacco.

For the longest time Bic was my standard, but it was always frustrating how hot it gets and the flame doesn’t reach very far.

Right now my best bet is the new Electric Arc lighters.
I can imagine they’re about to revolutionize the way I smoke a pipe since you can be pretty well guaranteed they’re going to burn stuff with no fuss while also reaching all the way to the bottom of even the deepest chimney. Plus the rims of my expensive pipes should stay almost totally pristine from now on.

On top of that you guys have got me on a collecting spree with Dupont knockoffs, finally a Butane lighter that actually works!
I know I should have got an Old Boy a long time ago but practically these will work just as well, and I love the big shiny block aesthetic.
I now swear by my Dupont clones now I've retired my Zippo's, they seem reliable, so far, so good. I have had a number of gas torch electrostatic ignition lighters from large kitchen designed to smaller pipe/cigar designed, they have all failed after months or less regular use, especially lunting in all weathers. The WAY gas torch lighter which is modestly priced seems one of the more reliable, touch wood....but work in progress.

bullwinkle

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
I now swear by my Dupont clones now I've retired my Zippo's, they seem reliable, so far, so good. I have had a number of gas torch electrostatic ignition lighters from large kitchen designed to smaller pipe/cigar designed, they have all failed after months or less regular use, especially lunting in all weathers. The WAY gas torch lighter which is modestly priced seems one of the more reliable, touch wood....but work in progress.

I have several of the DuPont $29 tribute lighters and they have been rock solid over the past year or so..

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
The only pipe lighter (besides the mighty Bic) I haven't killed after a month of use is the Mr. Brog Pipe Lighter and Czech tool combo. I got a free Sutliff branded one with a SmokingPipes order and I liked it so much I ordered a spare.

Reactions: MrTom and jpmcwjr

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a few. I kinda like Zppos, but hate the fuel.

From top left.
Hadson (Japan) Works perfectly.
Colibri (West Germany) works perfectly.
Zippo Table lighter (Ford sales award 1965) works perfectly.
Nimrod (new in box with instructions) works perfectly.
Vertigo pipe lighter (my everyday carry) works ok.
Robson Varaflame (love this vintage pipe. Works, but leaks butane too quickly.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've always used matches and cheap disposable butane lighters.
But recently LAD bug bit me and now I use Colibri Connaught II indoors, Nimrod Admiral while smoking outside.
I keep cheaper butane lighters as a back-up everywhere (esp. fond of DJeep). Oh, and matches.
Probably won't find peace until I snatch one of these high-quality Japanese knock-offs of Dunhill Unique.

Here's a larger image. And yes on the Djeep!

fullsizerender-10-jpg.6275

Oct 20, 2019
So far I have only been using wooden matches which have been working just fine for me. For sure, when it's more windy it takes a good few to get the tobacco properly lit but it hasn't been too much of an annoyance. I have been eyeing up an old boy but for now good old wooden matches shall do.

Last edited:

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I used to frequent this feature since the age of [prohibited content]

They are unbeatable, when it comes to opening a beer. So to say, they are not only my go to lighter, but also my go to beer opener. I never managed to destroy one before it got empty. And even when empty, I sometimes hestitated throwing one away, as it would still make a perfect bottle opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.