What is your Favorite American-made Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Castello Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
New Cigars
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Said Cosmic:

Dark Star is a unique straight Virginia in that no other dark flake is going to be as sweet and mild, yet deep in subtle flavor. Sometimes it is too mild for my tastes, but all in all, you won't find anything exactly like those hard and rubbery difficult little flakes. It is not an aromatic like DSK, and has no Kentucky in it.
Butera's Dark Stoved is Dark Star's brother from another mother. Very similar, yet different enough to warrant having an open can of each, imo. This may have already been mentioned (skimmed the thread for lack of time...sorry), but Dark Star is 2035 tinned and aged for 2 years prior to sale.

but Dark Star is 2035 tinned and aged for 2 years prior to sale.

I read that in another thread also, but having smoked quite a bit of both, I don't find that to be true at all. Unless that two years really changes the total flavor, consistency, and feel of the flake... But, when stuff like this comes up, I like to send emails asking them.
I'll have to try Buteras. Is Buteras a real processing tobacconist, or is this just a company that is hiring real tobacconists like McClelland or Sutliff to do it for them?

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Dark Star is good....
but my favorite Is butera's Dark Stoved. Like someone else said they are brothers from another mother. I just find that the Butera version is slightly more manageable/easier to smoke/requires fewer re-lights.
McCranies Red Flake is also quite good.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My favorite American flake is GL Pease Navigator. With a couple of years of age, the Kentucky in it really smooths out and the Virginia's are able to shine along with the rum topping. I predict that the peak for this blend is going to be the 5-7 year range. Any longer and the rum topping could lose some flavor. I have a bunch if the first batch of this when it came out. I believe the date on the tins is December 2012. It is the only American flake out of the 32 flakes in my cellar.
If I could smoke red Virginia's I would have a bunch of Dark Star and other Mac Virginia flakes. I have tasted them all and everyone of them were a very tasty blend.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
That's a hard one. I love Pease Quiet Nights, but also love Dark Star, Blackwoods Flake and Saint James Woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.