What Is the Sweetest Straight Virginia Blend You Have Ever Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Probably discussed before but I’m making my way through some McClelland blends and thought I’d see what opinions I get. For me so far it’s a very aged tin of Mcc #27. Any straight Virginia blend counts; new or old, current or discountinued... what do you gents think? :puffy:
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

MacBarens Modern Virginia, which has an apricot toppings is about the sweetest I have had. With commercial Virginias, it is hard to separate the casing from the natural flavors. Germains Medium Flake is a very nice sweet, citrusy flavor that is about as close to a natural light cured Virginia flavor that I can think of.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Dan Tordenskjold Virginia Slices is the sweetest blend in my cellar. Watch City Cigar's Old Dominion is pretty sweet too, but probably because it's a crunble cake with a sweet binder. There must be some red Va blends out there that are yet sweeter than these though.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
McClelland 5100 and 40th Anniversary. McCranies Red Ribbon although it is more refined and not as in your face as the two mcclelland blends mentioned.

I think of 5100 and all of the McCrannies and all McClellands as more savory than sweet. I mean, I still love them, probably more than a sweeter smoke, but still not the sweetest. Sweet tends to bite, so I rarely prefer sweet over savory anyways.

I mean, there is a little sweetness to them, but there is also a strong middle ground savory component to the flavor. Does that make sense?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake

Rotary Navy Cut

Brigham Klondike Gold

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Capstan Blue Flake

Well aged Samuel Gawith Best Brown and Full Virginia

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake now called Classic flake
There are just a few for my tastes.

Reactions: KORNEY

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm very inexperienced with straight Virginias, but I find the H&H Marble Kake quite sweet.
jay-roger.jpg

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Agreed with Cortezattic, Dan Tordenskjold Virginia Slices are indeed sweet tasting to my palate.
Another I might mention that doesn't get a lot of attention is GH&Co. Glengarry Flake. And it's not drowned in Lakeland sauce. Sweet as can be, imho.
Although not a 100% Virginia blend, GH&Co. Ennerdale Flake actually makes the bit on my pipes taste kinda sugary.
As others have posted, 5100 is pretty sweet, too. One of my McC favourites is/was 5105 Stoved Virginia. It came in bulk and was intended for blending, but I really loved it as a straight up smoke. Kind of like Dark Star, only rubbed out. Very hard, tiny pieces. Stoved to the point of tobacco charcoal, if you take my meaning.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Yeah, Cosmic. Dark Star mixed with a bit of Red makes for a damn fine smoke. Like the way you think. :wink:

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Cosmic, have you tried JF Germain Brown Flake? I find it pretty sweet as well. I just didn't care for Medium Flake all that much.

Yes, but I think that the Medium Flake is sweeter, maybe the sweetest that I've had, but that doesn't mean that it is a favorite. Like I said, I prefer the savory side of a MCClellands or any red Virginia. But, if only talking about the sweetness, MF takes the lead, IMO. But, I'll take another bowl of 5100 any day. :puffy:

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Agreed about the 5100 and Red Va.

Maybe I need to re-visit Medium Flake. If I still don't like it, I'll send you the rest. LOL!

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
It's a partial tin. Maybe around 40g's. Been jarred since 2008. PM me your addy.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Oh man this is great ! Thanks for all the replies . Dark star, yes I tried that recently but I think i need to heat it up a bit first . I still need to try Klondike gold which I was lucky enough to get from a member here.. so many to try. Keep me coming !

Status
Not open for further replies.