What is the sweetest smoking pipe you own ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
It's probably been asked before, but what the heck. What is the sweetest smoking pipe you have. Pipe design, construction and break in is an interesting topic to me and it got me to thinking. What is the sweetest smoking pipe I have? I should clarify, by "sweetest" I am referring to the most enjoyable, problem free, easy smoking and reliable old dog in the yard.
For me it is a 1960-70? Bennington London made straight blasted Dublin. I bought it off ebay for 15 bucks plus shipping.
It was nearly unsmoked, virtually cake free (light carbon), drilling is perfectly centered and the draft hole is dead bottom of the bowl. The airway is not huge put an ample draw. about group 4 size, thick walled. It likes any English with Latakia.
I would like to know the thoughts of everyone who would care to post a reply. I don't have the pipe with me to post an image right now, but if you could post yours, it would be cool. Also if you pipe likes a certain weed over others please let me know.
Thanks
Joe

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My absolute sweetest and easiest pipes are my old meerschaum cuttys. My sweetest briar is a three year old Ryan Alden Short Lovat he made for me. It just delivers every time.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I wouldn't own a pipe which doesn't meet your definition of "sweet" smoking. I think it's a shame to have pipes which do not meet that standard. I only have a couple dozen or so, all are bent to some degree and all provide a great experience. Keep in mind, my standards are not as high as others, I simply know what I like.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Warren,

While I agree that the goal is to own a stable of sweet pipes. I am still working towards that goal.

It seems that it can only be acquired through trial and error. Also, the more time you have dedicated to

the goal the better the outcome.
I hope to some day a a few more that are what I consider exceptional smokers. I do have a few other that I like,

just not as much.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
One of the best is a Dunhill bruyere shape 53 group 3 bent..........and one of the worst a Dunhill Chestnut shape 3105 dublin.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I'm with Warren on this, if the pipe doesn't work with how I smoke and I can't do anything to rectify that it's gone. Why hold on to them otherwise if not for sentimental reasons?
There are lots of pipes here but one Briar in particular fits me a hair better than the rest. This MdP can be pushed like a cob for days and shines with anything but Cavendish, not being a huge fan of Cavendish that's fine. Pictured with Bold Kentucky.
img_3788-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
By the time I pluck a pipe from the rack of too many pipes and select the particular blend that answers my call and pack the pipe, that pipe is the sweetest smoking pipe in the house. It may or may not live up to the longing, but most pipes do, sooner or later, Kaywoodie Ruff Tone to Fernwood smooth silver band.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
To clarify my statement. I interpreted the OP as your ONE sweetest pipe.
I agree with the rest, if it doesn't smoke great, its gone, and I have definitely moved my pipe collection around.
I have a rack on my desk that holds 24 pipes and a rack as you walk into my office that holds 36. The pipes I smoke all the time reside either in a drawer in their cases or in the rack on my desk. the rack by the door is for pipes I don't smoke as often and the top rack is for pipes that don't get smoked in about 3 weeks. the top rack is technically the "eBay" rack, because that's where pipes are headed that I don't smoke.
Since I smoke between 5 and 8 bowls a day, its an easy way to keep my pipes right about 60 working pipes. I like that number. I only have two pipes I don't smoke. They were my grandfather's. I have only smoked each once. Good enough.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
After buying seriously expensive pipes along with less expensive ones, I've learned that all good pipes are the same... just a bowl with hole and a mouthpiece. It ain't rocket science. It's basic engineering if even that. Best smoking pipe is all in your head.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
As others have already said, if a pipe doesn't smoke well, I get rid of it. I do have a couple of pipes though, that due to time and memories have more significance to me and therefore seem to smoke better. These great briars shall remain anonymous, lest they hear me bragging on them and turn sour!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have learned this over 55 years of smoking: A pipe must first fit my eye, then my fist. Now I inspect fit and finish. If a pipe passes that inspection I may purchases it. A pipe which is not pleasing to my eye and fist, is not properly constructed or fitted and finished will never get to my house. The final test is a breaking in period.
For me the quiet bowls in the evening, while reading or culling photos, must be with a pipe I first enjoy aesthetically and then smokes very well. I do not base a pipe purchase on anything other than the above, brand is not particularly important, neither is price. If I do not like the look of a pipe, as it sits on display, I'll not ask to inspect.
I'm not discerning enough to pick only one pipe from my choices as "the one." I guess which ever I select for the evening bowls is "the one." I do not sit and simply smoke a bowl for the pure joy of it, can't do it, genetically impossible for me. A bowl of tobacco in a pipe I admire simply makes whatever else I am doing, chainsawing, tractor, photography, fishing, etc, a bit more enjoyable, more complete as it were.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I really enjoy contemplating on others views about something so subjective. I didn't really mean that most of my pipes smoke like dogshit and one doesn't. But I realize now I could have worded it; do you have a favorite pipe?
This might have yielded a slight different group of answers, but who cares?
So to better understand, let me propose this.
What pipe did you hope would be a great smoker (based on it's appearance, fit, grain etc.) that ended up going to the dogs and why?
Joe

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
My absolute sweetest and easiest pipes are my old meerschaum cuttys.
Hands down #1! I have to say after that it's my MM Cobs. My sincerest thanks to my dear friend Simon for introducing me to the joys of those old little meerschaums...

Status
Not open for further replies.