PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDRif

Lurker
Sep 27, 2019
I'm fairly new to pipe smoking, and I really enjoy all the tobaccos I have tried at my second home Pap's lounge near my home. But I want to explore new options. I smoke non-filter, and I enjoy more aromatic blends. So, here's the big question: What do I choose for the winter season? I've found so many wonderful sounding flavors (pumpkin spice to Sutliff's Christmas Spice, they all sound amazing) I can't decide what to order, or where to order from. Any help for a new pipe smoker?

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
You could try Rattray's Exotic Orange (Exotic Passion if you are in EU), a wonderful aromatic with orange aroma, that makes me think of Christmas Eve

Reactions: aquadoc

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Watch for Cornell & Diehl's Christmas blends. I hope they come out with a 2019 blend.

I've enjoyed a few.
2015 Golden Days of Yore
2016 Corn Cob Pipe and a Button Nose
2018 Jolly Old St. Nicholas

Also L.J. Peretti produces their Thanksgiving Day blend every year. It's good but I tend to get a little tongue bite from it. Watch for it on their website.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
One aromatic that I've tried made me instantly say "this would be great around Christmas:" Savinelli Aroma.

Very strong almond, marzipan, sherry, honey, vanilla casing. It's a bit too much for me as a regular smoke, but it is quite pleasant.

edit: I didn't type in a bad word--I was trying to say "shrry", as in fortified wine, and apparently that's a code for the Sherlock Holmes emoticon. I'm gettin' too old for this sh*t.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't like the holiday aromatics, which I find have lots of bite, maybe the cinnamon and piney flavoring. If I ever open my McClellands Christmas Cheer, that might be it, or a nice bowl of C&D Stratfordshire, that really sturdy English.

Reactions: lelik
M

Marindas

Due to the recommendation of @chasingembers I have recently been enjoing PnC's Angler's Dream which has a light cinnamon flavor to it. I was thinking just the other day that it would make a good Holiday aromatic. Just enough flavoring, but not too much.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Going off of MSO's say - does it really need to be marketed as such? Sometimes for holidays I think red VA like McClellands, sometimes Dan Tobacco's SVH, or as MSO so perfectly put it, a "sturdy English" which was normally Star of the East (Flake or Die) or 965

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
McC Christmas Cheer will always be a standard for the holiday months in my house but my tippy top favourite is GH&Co. Rum Flake.
There’s just something about it that I can’t really describe. A flavour from childhood maybe.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Another vote here for Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake/Jamaican Flake.
I've also tried 3 of the Peterson Christmas blends which I enjoyed to varying degrees, my favourite was the 2015 version which was a berry & cognac flavour and luckily I still have about half a tin left.
Last year I also got a pouch of the GQ Tobaccos seasonal offering and that was lovely as well.

Chris.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Watch for Cornell & Diehl's Christmas blends. I hope they come out with a 2019 blend.

I've enjoyed a few.
2015 Golden Days of Yore
2016 Corn Cob Pipe and a Button Nose
2018 Jolly Old St. Nicholas

Also L.J. Peretti produces their Thanksgiving Day blend every year. It's good but I tend to get a little tongue bite from it. Watch for it on their website.
I have enjoyed Jolly Old St. Nicholas!

Reactions: milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Jolly Old St Nicholas was a great blend. It is the only aromatic blend I like from C&D. I am saving a tin of Christmas cheer 2013 for this year’s Christmas Party. I also enjoy Rattray’s Exotic Passion, even if it is not labeled as a holiday blend.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Jolly Old St Nicholas was a great blend. It is the only aromatic blend I like from C&D. I am saving a tin of Christmas cheer 2013 for this year’s Christmas Party. I also enjoy Rattray’s Exotic Passion, even if it is not labeled as a holiday blend.
I do enjoy C&D's Visions of Celephais. Actually, most in that series are solid smokes. Also, Two Friends English Chocolate is a seasonal holiday smoke, IMHO.

Add some Grousemoor to your Exotic Passion for some amped up citrus.

Status
Not open for further replies.