What is the BEST American Virginia blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Hard to beat Union Square as I am aging a couple of 8oz tins. Flue cured Virginias with zero toppings or flavoring makes it easy to smoke all day long!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I agree anything McClelland is amasing, but to be specific...I really enjoy McClelland Blackwoods Flake for a pure Virginia. If you're gentle with it, I find it to be intensly, mouth-wateringly sweet.
Also, virtually any McClelland Christmas Cheer is a very good Virginia Tobacco.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Another vote for any McClelland VA, though I admit to having a soft spot for Christmas Cheer. Brindle Flake ain't too shabby either!

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Leacha: I thought for sure, based on reviews and descriptions of McClelland's Rich Virginia Ribbon, that I'd love it. I've had a tin open for three months now, and I have to force myself to smoke it. The nougat sweetness is way over the top for me. Shame, too. I will agree that McClelland makes great Virginias.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm enjoying McCranie's 2008 Red Ribbon very much. And while it doesn't have the depth of the '96 that I've sampled, it's a very enjoyable smoke right now that should improved with age. I would love to try one of the older vintages. Hopefully I'll snag a tin one of these days. :puffpipe:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Soooooo much orthodoxy here that I think McClelland has the pr on Virginias locked up.

Nobody got goodies from the likes of Russ Ouellette or Rich Gottlieb of 4noggins? I'm surprised.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
You go first Cortez! If you have some favorites outside of the main, let's see 'em. I think ever blend mentioned thus far has used leaf sourced from if not blended by McC's. Any variety would be good.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Soooooo much orthodoxy here that I think McClelland has the pr on Virginias locked up.
It's not PR for me ... it's the flavor and quality, both of which are top notch from McC.

If we were talking Burley, I might opt for C&D. For Latakia ... GLP. Etc...
Nobody got goodies from the likes of Russ Ouellette ...
Russ has some great Va/Per's but I don't know of a straight Va that ranks at the top.
In fact, Marble Kake is the only straight Va that even comes to mind.
What others would you suggest?

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
List of prime contenders includes McC Blackwoods Flake, McC Dark Star, McCranie's Red Ribbon, McCranie'sRed Flake, GLP Union Square.
Candidates with early good marks, but requiring further investigation, include: C&D Opening Night, various vintages of McC Christmas Cheer, McC Rich Virginia Ribbon.
If I had to pick an overall winner now, I'd choose 1983 Red Ribbon. If I had to pick a readily available blend right now, I'd probably lean toward Dark Star or Union Square.
I need to clear my pipe calendar and make a much more thorough study of Virginias, is what this means.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I need to clear my pipe calendar and make a much more thorough study of Virginias, is what this means.
I did this a year and a half ago, and now it's 90% of what I smoke. Beware.

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
Union Square is heavenly.
I was terribly disappointed when I first tried it - my first Pease blend, such high hopes and such a mediocre experience. Left the tin for two weeks, tired again and loved it.
Just need to get another tin into Dubai somehow!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Christmas Cheer

Red Ribbon

Blackwoods Flake, McClellands Virginias in general

Union Square

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I jumped off the McClelland bandwagon in the last year. Everything Mc virginia blend bites me to high hell. Recently got a tin of Union Square. Haven't smoked enough of it yet to give it a real recommendation, but it is a very different Virginia so far. Very meaty for a virginia blend, lot of flavor with little bite. I would recommend it for a try, and once I get further into the tin perhaps I can give a better recommendation.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I am still a newb to VA's and VaPer's having smoked aromatics so many years. The only times I have had trouble with either of the former , was when I was in a hurry to get a pipe in and found myself smoking too fast. I really have enjoyed the input on this thread.

Just ordered some Aurora, and Union Square.

Status
Not open for further replies.