PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Tonight finds me in Roseland, Indiana. Yesterday I picked up a snow removal truck headed for a small town in Maine.
This morning I made my way down from Wisconsin to western Illinois to pick up a pavement roller going to a town a little north of Boston.
The roller was supposed to be ready to load first thing this morning but when I got to the factory they weren't quite finished building it yet. It was after lunch before they finally had it done and ready to load.
Such is trucking.
I made it as far as Roseland and called it a day. I checked into the hotel here and walked over to the pub I normally visit just to find a sign posted on the door saying that they had a new owner and were closed awaiting their new liquor license. Bummer.
I walked down to an Irish themed pub about a half mile away. It turned out to be a good time. I had a very good corned beef sandwich, a few beers, and some interesting conversation, including a younger woman who asked me to look up, on my iPad, the status of her son who was in prison for robbery.
I kind of felt sorry for the mother, but let her know I didn't feel any sympathy for her son who had committed robbery on another person. She actually felt the same way, for which I liked her, but was understandably worried about her son. Once again I felt sorry for her.
Such situations can be very complicated.
She seemed like a very nice woman and we chatted for quite a while before she went home to her husband and other, younger son. Before she left she told me that some of of comments had cheered her up a bit. That is nice to hear.
After she left I chatted with a few fellow ex-military guys before emptying my pipe and filling it again for a final smoke, Frog Morton On The Town, and set out walking back to my hotel.
I have always found it interesting that when you are sitting someplace and enjoying a good pipe that people seem to be drawn to you if they need or want to converse.
What is it about a pipe that draws people into a conversation, even if they don't smoke one themselves?

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Just a guess, buy maybe it's because of the classic image of a psychologist/psychiatrist with a pipe.
Jung-pipe.jpg

Carl Jung

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
All of the above. Pipes give a sense of warmth, calm, and wisdom... and a certain "gandalf-ness" which embodies all three. Thanks for the story :puffy:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
The pipe, especially with a bowl of FMOTT, marked you as a man of discernment and wisdom.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I haven't had this experience yet, but can see how it might happen. Of course, the first person who comes to me for sage advice is going to find out I can be a real jerk! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.