PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
So I know what an Aromatic tobacco is, and I think I know what an English tobacco is, but what would call tobaccos like Frog Morton?

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
An English blend, with extra whipped cream. Frog Morton blends are a nice alternative, and change from time to time.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
It's a town that hobbits live in.
Or a crossover blend. Take your preference.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Latakia blends with toppings are sometimes referred to as "crossover Englishes",but, as you discovered, will be categorized as an English.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
It is a light English and is meant to be a all day smoke .I thought it took four years to master the blend and it contains 21 leafs .But I cannot find the reference so take that with a grain of salt .On the Bayou is considered a Balkan and the new Cellar is a Aromatic .

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
igloo:
I'll respectfully disagree with the categorization of "...on the Bayou" as a Balkan. Perique isn't used in any Balkan blend I've ever smoked or seen. (And Louisiana isn't exactly in the Balkan neighborhood geographically either.) A traditional Balkan is an Oriental and Latakia-forward blend, with Virginias in the background -- and nothing else in the mix.
Bob

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have never tried any of these blends. I have smelt the tins over the years, not specifically the ones referred to here and they all smell delightful. On the odd occasions I have tried them I am always left with the feeling of 'that was interesting' and never recalling much about the exprience later.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
igloo:
Well, that's why I said I disagreed with you, not that the world did! :) Although to be fair, that marketing copy does call it a Balkan to which perique was added. That it may well be. But for me, the addition of perique removes it from the "traditional Balkan" category altogether (And it still strikes me as odd that you'd name a so-called Balkan blend after a Louisiana location.)
But I'm kind of a Balkan snob. It's my all-time favorite category of blend. And I think Balkans are truly stellar only when they focus on that unique, creamy marriage of the latakia and the orientals, with the Virginias a distant background player. Any other ingredients -- for me -- are superfluous and unwanted in a Balkan blend.
Bob

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
It's my all-time favorite category of blend.
Bob, me too. Have you tried FMOTT? The tin says it's an oriental blend.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
MassPiper - I agree. Ultimately I hope to segregate my pipes and use some for aro, others for English. The frog seem (IMHO) to be a combo of both English and aro. Just wondered if it had a class of its own.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Supdog: I thoroughly enjoy "...on the Town"! I'm also a big fan of the older "...across the Pond," which included Syrian Latakia. (The newer tins don't mention Syrian, so I've assumed they've stopped using it.)
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm still aging my Frog Morton original, but this thread makes me want to pop the tin.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"I'm still aging my Frog Morton original, but this thread makes me want to pop the tin."
I've got a tin of the original FM from 2003 that I just can't bring myself to open. I don't know what I'm waiting for, but I just haven't felt the urge.
Bob

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
In the grand scheme of things they would all be considered Englishes, but you may elect to put them in to slightly different groups (Balkan, Oriental, etc.). Not many folks would consider a FMC an aromatic since the only thing extra in the mix is the wood stave. If you count it virtually every tobacco in the world that has any kind of casing would be considered an aromatic. And we don't want that.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I don't know about anyone else but the amount of times he sniffed the baccy and then the description of it smelling like 4 day old underware creeped me out. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.