PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I smoked ciggies in the military, but stopped when I was in the Falkland Islands.

Drifted into occasional cigar smoking, but found them expensive.

Ended up here, still enjoying everything about the pastime.

munky

Lurker
Dec 15, 2014
Pearland, TX
I am huge lover of cigars and enjoy them, I also have spent an ungodly amount of $ on good cigars and havent properly aged them as they should be. I am huge Opus X fan and would really like to start stashing those away so they can be enjoyed at a later time. My wife bought me a pipe last christmas because she loves the smell and thought I would look smashing with one LOL, so I gave it a whirl and have really really enjoyed them so far. I know I still have a ton to learn, but there is something about the ambience and the unique experience you have with a pipe.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I did not like when others passers-by threw a glance at me as it made me feel self-conscious. It is like I could hear them "what are you pretending or something; who the hell do you think you are?" However, pipe smoking is eye catching no matter how old you are, so most people keep looking at me despite my age (I am 46).
@ Jorge It can be a difficult and awkward thing to be a young pipe smoker, Jorge. I understand this completely (I'm 26 and have been smoking for a few years now). There definitely is a surge of hipster annoyances that add a stigma to the image of a younger pipe smoker. This was especially true in college. Hell, I've even met some that just carry a pipe in their mouth, and don't smoke. One guy, I met at a cafe, was sitting at a table with an obvious Chinese knockoff pipe. He actually set up a pipe stand to set it on. I asked him what type of tobacco he smoked, and he kindly told me he didn't smoke. I did my best not to look confused. I usually get glances and awkward questioning from people when they see or find out that I smoke a pipe. Maybe someday I'll grow up into an old codger and it wont be so shocking to people.
I know I still have a ton to learn, but there is something about the ambience and the unique experience you have with a pipe.
@munky I am a big cigar smoker too, and realized how much I was spending on them. I have about 50 stored in a humidor. I've been trying to age them as well. I usually buy one or two a month and stash'em for later. I'll pull one out to smoke on occasion, but I much prefer the pipe. I think one thing I like about pipes is the tangible item. When I have a great smoke of a cigar, the experience ends and the stick that brought me joy is no more. With a pipe, a great smoke's memories are stored in the pipe itself.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Sherlock Holmes. Always a favorite read when I was young, then the Basil Rathbone Sherlock movies were re released, and I just kinda moved into it.

shelbyred94

Lurker
Nov 30, 2014
When I was a kid my grandfather smoked pipes. I remember sitting near him and smelling the smoke and loving the smell. I have never smoked anything before, but I knew I would smoke a pipe one day. I have been thinking about it a while, talked to my husband and started about a month ago. I have teenage boys that are active so I smoke about 2-3 times a week. I love everything about it! I don't even mind the relight. The best part for me is smelling it. :)

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
My Opa and two of his sons from Holland smoked pipes and my Uncle from Ireland smoked a pipe, so I thought I would carry on the tradition!

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Growing up, I was always fascinated by those cartoon characters/actors who smoked pipes and cigars, as it always seemed like a manly thing to do (ie, popeye), but the pipe was ultimately what I wanted to do. As I got older, I thought it was just something rich people did. Then one day, I was at a Total Wine store and they have a humidor in there. I was with some buddies and we were talking about just sipping on some nice whisky instead of getting drunk off cheap alcohol. We were all down and I joked around saying, "fuck it, let's have a gentleman's night and have cigars with it" and after that we stepped into the humidor. One of them mentioned his dad was a cigar smoker and helped us pick out some good ones. After that, I dove deep into the cigar world for about a year. Then I decided to just get into pipes. Picked up a corn cob and some captain black from a local Walgreens and the rest is history.
And OP, the part about no addiction is false. Sure you don't get addicted to the smoking........it's the new, shiny pipes that you get addicted to buying. lol!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Turned 18 when the last Lord of the Rings movie came out. Right after seeing the movie I ran down to a local pipe shop and bought a basket churchwarden, which I still have, and some house black cherry aromatic tobacco.
It was on again off again for about 8yrs. Then one night I was having a rare bowl on the patio and my girlfriend came over. Her response was, "Oh, I didn't know you smoked a pipe, that's sexy!". Needless to say that second I decided it needed to be a regular thing.
I've also always been a big fan of Sherlock Holmes and I'm sure that played a part as well as to why I'm drawn to the briar.
I don't have any relatives that smoke pipes. My dad tried it when he was in his 20s, but his venture began and ended with a pouch of Captain Black. Maybe when I visit for my sister's wedding I'll take a tin of Orlik Golden Slice or Mac Baren Modern Virginia.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
JRR Tolkien. The books. When I was fifteen. Been looking for a small pipe with a wide, flattened bowl ever since!

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
This is a snakeskin jacket Dunhill pipe! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief in personal freedom.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Back in the days when cigar and pipe smoking was much more common I was exclusively a cigar smoker, then I discovered women were more appreciative of pipe smokers. Instantaneous conversion. Now in my dotage I smoke an occasional cigar, but a pensioner can't afford too many so I smoke a pipe much more often.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Switched to pipes when I quit cigs a year ago, but I've had the idea in my head all my life cause my dad and my uncles all smoked pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.