PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do not associate it with Hardcastle, Parker or Britannia, for starters, though I don't know those pipes historically. Barlings and Comoys I don't know.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The easier question to answer might be which makers did not use those stain colors. I have seen those stains on pipes made by Comoy's, Barling's, (real) Ben Wade, Hardcastle, Civic, and many lesser known manufacturers.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Good info, I haven't seen many of those with a deep red to maroon stain. Red undertones, yes, but not that rich burgundy of the older Dunhill, although I know others must have used similar stains. Do you have any pictures?
Doc

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Les Wood (Ferndown) had a smooth, oxblood-mahogany series. It was called REO.
Here's an example:
https://winstonspipeandcigar.com/products/ferndown-les-wood-reo-bent-bulldog-silver-estate-pipe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Had a "London" stamped no-name pipe in a deep reddish brown stain, but I don't know the maker. It was a trim tapered straight billiard, very pretty, but developed a crack at the joint of the shank and the bowl. Gave it to a friend who wanted pipes for atmosphere (former Lucky Strike addict).

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Charatan's Belvedere was a spirit stain green background stain, first coat burnt in, second one left on and a 'Post office red' top coat.

Roughly the same for the James Upshall 'S' red finish.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Ken, what was the coloring done for the Perfection? One of my favorite CP stains...

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Perfection was a walnut type stain with a walnut background stain I think. The 'intensity of any finish was the amount of background stain and stripping that of and how many top coat stains are applied etc.

The four main stains that charatan used was dark green for the 'black' background, walnut, P.O.Red and Orange

The Distinction was a burnt-in walnut background with a light orange top coat.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Thank you Ken for invaluable information!!!
I guess I have mainly Specials, Belvedere/Perfection and several Distinction and an After Hours or two. I like the flat saddle stems the best [X]

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I really like the After Hours series. It is made from a material called Catalin. My favourite grade at the moment is a very full grained (straight grain) in a Distinction finish.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I just remembered that we used to make an orange S grade finish when I worked at James Upshall in the 1980s. I must have loved that finish in those days as well!!!

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Here is a late Comoy's version of red:

p4121674-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.