PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I was wondering what is the best companion to the tobacco, Scotch, whiskey, brandy or beer

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
None of the above. Alcohol increases the cancer risks when taken in conjunction with tobacco smoke. Try a good strong tea hot or cold. Plenty of of varieties to match what you're smoking. I've found Jasmine complements Lakeland flavors well and Oolong goes well with English blends.
That said, if you don't mind the increased risk, Basil Hayden and LBF are a fine combination.
Really, there is no ONE best answer. As with any flavor pairings its all about finding the match/mix you like

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Lapsang Souching with lat blends. Twinnings "Sticky Toffee Pudding" is nice with a virginia cavendish blend

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I was going to say Tea is great with all tobacco. Water is outstanding.
Now Alchohol:
Cabernet, Merlot, and Malbec go well with Latakia blends. Also whisky, scorch and bourbon.
Burley and Virginia Go well with any beer, ale, stout etc.
Virginias, Burley and Perique blends go well with Absinthe. Benefiting the Absinthe more than the pipe tobacco.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
I do drink the silver needle tea with my tobacco, but this Christmas I want to buy a bottle that will go good with an English I am smoking, but don't have experience enough to know witch is best,

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Randelli, have a good Lapsang Souching recommendation? I've not explored that style much. Its nice to see I'm not the only tea drinker here.
Also, barley tea and Burley, beyond being alliterative, go well together. I've been smoking the 401 Burley from Milan recently with my barley drink.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I like Harney and Sons tea. I order from there. I haven't had the Lapsang, that's the smoky stuff, isn't it? Assam is great with a pipe. Keemun also. Ceylon UVA Highland goes great with Old Dark Fired. Tea it's what's to drink when you smoke. Idealy.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
hmm interesting have you tried rose tea with lane 1q? it is delicious.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Dark coffee paired with burley; everything else depends on my mood and the blend. Sparkling water is always a nice accompaniment. ... The Scotch and bourbon comes out when cigars make an appearance.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I usually go with water. But occasionally a nice rich Assam tea is perfect.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I drink some fine quality coffee with most of my tobacco but no folgers, mjb etc. When its hot out its just ice water. Straight black tea made strong with english tobacco. No booze for me.

Coffee, tea, and fruit juices are my goto drinks with any tobacco. Sweet iced tea, Southern style of course. But, Mountain Dew and a good straight Virginia is nice also. The acidity compliment as each other IMO. But, in a pinch iced water is good as well. I always have a cup of something with my smokes, always.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I order all of my tea from Twinnings. They are high quality and their prices are good too?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I am into the tobacco blend and the pipe themselves, the best is tea, and my favorite black tea is P&G Tips. Water is second, best if crisp and cold. Bourbon and water and occasionally a single malt Scotch can be a heightened experience but can shoulder over the leaf. Other beverages work -- beer, wine, coffee, hot chocolate -- but coat the mouth and mask a good blend, for me. Colas not so good, the whole sugar or sugar sub thing just doesn't go.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I grew up with Twinnings so it is always a brand I'll reach for. Other than that, I go to my local Asian supermarket and pick up stuff that looks interesting. And I buy frou frou "chai" tea blends from Teavanna for my wife.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I say water or beer. I find that whiskey or gin (my normal spirits) have too strong a taste to accompany pipe smoking. They usually numb my mouth too much to taste the tobacco well.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
You might laugh, but Great Value cream soda with some. Good with a Ghurka cigar too.

Status
Not open for further replies.