PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I saw a mugshot the other day of this college kid who was being booked wearing a t-shirt that said " I shaved my balls for this ?? "

I'm sure that went over great at the frat house, probably not so much in general population...
lolololol

Jul 15, 2011
Mixture 79

Cornell and Diehl USS Mason

Cornell and Diehl After Hours Flake

Most all Black Cavendish Blends
I find that pure cavendish blends smoke moist and bitey and have a chemical taste to them. That being said, I really like aromatics that are consistent of quality tobaccos

Jul 15, 2011
Mixture 79

Cornell and Diehl USS Mason

Cornell and Diehl After Hours Flake

Most all Black Cavendish Blends
I find that pure cavendish blends smoke moist and bitey and have a chemical taste to them. That being said, I really like aromatics that are consistent of quality tobaccos

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
While (I admit) some like it I must add.

Stanwell Melange to the list.

Too much citrus for my taste and it'll ghost a pipe.... immediately.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
#79 and half and half but thats just Me, I won't say don't try them I just don't like them. We all have diff. tastes.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Bootleg and I tried Nording's Hunter Blend Pointer the other day and I had the worst allergic reaction. My face and throat swelled up and I was miserable for days. I talked my brother and it did the same to him. It's evil, evil stuff.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I was on a tangent trying tobacco that famous people smoked. C&D crooner tastes just like cigarettes to me, and I would never recommend it. Bing was a heavy cigarette smoker before he went to the pipe, so I can see why it appealed to him. Yuck.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Almost all of the blends I've bought have been on our TAD list. Either by looking at reviews or by someone's recommendation, if it sounds good, we'll give it a try. The Pointer blend was tasty, but like Cyndi said, something about it just messed with her. I was fine with it.
C&D Black Duck...I found this stuff to taste good, however, I'd left it sit for awhile and came back to it later. When I did, Cyndi stated it smelled like raw sewage. I haven't smoked it again to find out if it's just the tobacco, or if it was just because I let it sit.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
>>You guys nailed it. I hadn't had anything worse than Borkum Riff until I tried Mixture #79.>>

it is the only leaf i ever trashed immediately--

and that was about 50 years ago--i still remember it as a really bad dream--

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
I tried Mixture 79 years ago and didn't care for it, but the worst I've ever tried was Velvet, the stuff actually smelled and tasted like play-dough, couldn't finish the bowl it was so bad.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I second Hobi1dawg's description of bad smokes. Not so much for the tobacco but certainly for the descriptive adjectives. I just thoroughly appreciate the choice language. It's about time we enjoyed some honest to goodness man talk. Hat's off to you bro! Keep up the great posting. I love it!

Jul 12, 2011
I agree with posts as to being very personal but also so many other factors...pipe smoking a wonderful journey and in finding true bliss....
As to my experiences and what happens to me: some of my favorite blends are now not, could be due to

Taste changes, weather, packing, pipe smoked in, tin QC, bacci changes with age (good/bad), sun/moon stars.. Xxnot a perfect science but a science for sure....

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
what don't i recommend?
erinmore flake
it's like prince albert but without the flavor. kinda like smoking an ultra light ciggy in that you keep looking to see if it's lit because there is no taste...

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
The first tobacco I bought was a Schefield and Sons Co. "house brand" (blended by Mr. B's - aka Brigham - aka Altdis) French Vanilla, a goopy black Cav. wanna-be that simply doesn't offer any tobacco flavour, and no matter how long it sits for, will never dry.
My runner up is P.S. Black Truffle; way too fruity and sweet for my liking. Not bad when tamed with some Latakia (and by some, I mean 50%+), but still not wonderful.
The next two blends will probably stir the pot some, but Dunhill MM965 (current offering) and OGS both leave something to be desired for me. 965 really sends me for a loop, its the only Orlik blended Dunhill re-release that I don't simply love - I think its the Cavendish, which causes a chemical flavour to come through for me. I really, really want to like this stuff, but its just not happening. The OGS reminds me of smoking my preferred brand of cigarette, and dammit, I wan't to avoid my preferred brand!
*disclaimer*

That said, the other Schefield, Mr. B's (Brigham), PS and Dunhill blends I've tried are all good stuff, just the above mentioned that doesn't agree with me. As for OGS, its the only Orlik labled, Orlik blend I've tried, but seeing as they produce around 40% of my cellars contents, I figure it's nothing to do with the company, just the blend in question not agreeing with me.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Hey Schmitzbitz it seems like you have the inside track on some of the Sheffield and Sons tobacco's I have been trying in vain to find out what Sheffield and Sons Birkenhead Rich is. Would you have any idea or if there is a Brigham equivelant. I cannot get Birkenhead at any of the sheffield and sons anymore. Thanks for your help!

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
MIXTURE 79!!! Horrible stuff that will ghost your pipe forever! Try soaking some cheap burley with old ladie's cheap perfume and you'll know what it tastes like.
Jimbo, I've smoked Old Tartan and found it to be quite good, much better than Crooner. I couldn't get that stuff to burn, either.

Smokey

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Middleton Apple, Middleton Cherry, or any Borkum Riff. All designed to scorch your mouth. Mad at somebody? Gift them a pouch of that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.