What Does Stanwell Registration Era Mean?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I'm asking because I recently bought a Stanwell Old Briar Registry Era billiard marked h68. I was just curious how old it might be. Thanks for any help.

May 31, 2012
Generally pre-1970,

these are most often always VERY good pipes.
If the S logo on the stem has no crown it's an earlier example, like late 50's or early 60's,

I think?
http://estatepipes.co.uk/pipeshop/Stanwell-Old-Briar-Regd-No-1950s-Billiard-Uncrowned-S-Logo-569#.U9GqnGMzSrQ
Got pix?
stanwell.jpg

Here's some general info, from Basil D. Stevens...

Dating Information:

1) Regd. No. stamping discontinued in late 1960s to very early 1970s. This is theStanwell trade mark registration. The “48” indicates that the registration was made in1948. (info rec’d from Jorgen Grundtvig, Managing Director, Stanwell A/S)
2) Block letter stamp “Silver S” used until late 1960s and then changed to script.
3) Up until the early 1960s only the top pipes, e.g. “Hand Cut” had the stem/mouthpiecesstamped with the Stanwell logo of a crown over “S”. The “Hand Cut” is stamped on theshank of the pipe. The “Standard Models” may or may not be stamped with the “S” logowithout the crown.
4) “Stanwell” stamp in script dates to the 1950s.
5) Progression of the Stanwell logo is: “S” in white paint; crown “S” in white paint; brasscrown “S” and finally a silver crown “S”.
6) “Handcut” stamped on black vulcanite stems have not been done since at least the1970s and possibly earlier. (info from J.G.).
7) Currently, the only mouthpieces that have “Handcut” stamped on them are made of Cumberland rod and are used exclusively on the “Unique” line of pipes. (info from J.G.)
8 ) Early Stanwell/Winslow pipes were stamped with a “W”. In later years this has beenchanged to a “Winslow” stamp.
9) Stanwell started using acrylic for their mouthpieces in 1995 and identified the acrylicstem with a “dot” following the Stanwell crown “S” logo. This practice has beendiscontinued.
10) Benni Jorgensen, father of Lasse Skovgaard, has been doing the Stanwell repairssince1995. Prior to this, they were done by Tom Eltang.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I was looking at the stem an it doesn't have a crown above the S. I just wanted to know if it was older than a kaywoodie I have from the 50's.

I don't have the pipe yet and don't know how to post with an iphone but I'll post them when I get it. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.