PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
i get sweetness of va, peppery perique, and oriental. but i can't pick out latakia in english blends. i get it from tin note and smoke from the bowl, but nothing that tells me there is latakia from taste. what does latakia taste like?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Jan 8, 2013
what does latakia taste like?
It tastes like a campfire in the north wood while roasting your kill over the flames, with wolves howling somewhere in the distance. It tastes like riding alongside the cattle your driving home after a long time on the range. It tastes like standing atop a high mountain peak, the cold wind blowing in your hair and beard while an eagle soars above you. It tastes like facing down a grizzly bear with naught but a small hatchet and a knife. It tastes like being a man, son... like being a man.
jeremiah-johnson-gif-4.gif

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
is pease quiet night not the right choice to taste latakia? enjoying the blend a lot. nice and mellow. but not detecting any campfire in the mouth. plenty on the nose.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
In my earlier days, I had a bit of difficulty differentiating between Latakia and Orientals, because most English/Balkan blends I smoke contain both. Over time, and esp. if you include some VA/Oriental blends in your rotation, you'll probably develop the ability to recognize Latakia on the tongue as well as in the nose.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
from what i'm reading, oriental is somewhat sweet and somewhat peppery. it joins the blend and has incense like taste. can be detected in retrohale. and i'm getting that in both quite night and royalty. just not getting smokey, leather, earthy (somewhat getting earthy) from taste. but earthy might also be from oriental?

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
is pease quiet night not the right choice to taste latakia? enjoying the blend a lot. nice and mellow. but not detecting any campfire in the mouth. plenty on the nose.
I don't claim to be an expert at determining where the different flavors in a blend come from but I always thought that the latakia in Quiet Nights is more of the incense variety than campfire like in Plum Pudding, tar like in Gaslight, or leather like in Presbyterian.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
IMHO, Quiet Nights is not a good choice for treating latakia. I find the latakia is this blend quite subdued. Buy a really latakia forward blend such as Pirate Kake if you want to taste latakia.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Or just get a sample of pure blending latakia.
It tastes like magic happiness to me. I love the stuff.
However, my wife is not a fan of the room note, at all.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Campfire, leather and tar. I always found those flavors most pronounced in the first quarter of the bowl and on relights. Don't care for it anymore though.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Incense, campfire. I'd go for blending Syrian Latakia if you can get some, it's delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.