PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Leather and tar is what I taste also. There was a brief moment where I picked up an incense note in Frog Morton on the Town but couldn’t recapture that flavor. If anyone has a suggestion for a good incense-like Latakia blend, I’m all ears. I liked it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tried to come up with something else. I'm reaching, maybe falling on my face. Tea and cedar.

themitch

Lurker
Jan 16, 2019
Siena
@timt I get a nice incense vibe out of Samuel Gawith's Skiff Mixture, my most smoked tobacco by the way.
For a fuller smoke mix it 50/50 with Commonwealth and let it sit a few weeks, one of the rare really good home blends (I'm not the inventor).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Latakia tastes like a day old cow-pie on the heel of a boot, which is why I avoid it.
I think I'd prefer aged cowpie, fully dry. But not overly tempted.
Latakia: nectar of the lesser gods. Latakia with great VA's and/or Orientals: nectar of the greater gods. Campfire, leather and creosote.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Interesting. A lot of people like to eat campfires, leather, incense and even tar apparently. I can see smelling some of those fragrances but tasting it? And if you really do, you like it? What restaurants do you all frequent?

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Tastes like smokehouse brisket without the meat.
It tastes like a campfire in the north wood while roasting your kill over the flames, with wolves howling somewhere in the distance. It tastes like riding alongside the cattle your driving home after a long time on the range. It tastes like standing atop a high mountain peak, the cold wind blowing in your hair and beard while an eagle soars above you. It tastes like facing down a grizzly bear with naught but a small hatchet and a knife. It tastes like being a man, son... like being a man.

:rofl: -This is great!

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Just dug a tin of WhiteKnight out of the cellar to try for the first time. Looking to identify the orientals from the latakia and get some of the incense vibe I'm looking for. Yeah, nope, all I taste is latakia. On to something else.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just dug a tin of WhiteKnight out of the cellar to try for the first time. Looking to identify the orientals from the latakia and get some of the incense vibe I'm looking for. Yeah, nope, all I taste is latakia. On to something else.
Interesting. I find the Orientals to be very prevalent in that blend.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I appear to be one of the few unlucky souls that only tastes latakia once a certain amount is present. It tasted just like any other latakia blend to me. The only differences I detect is the level of bitterness. So far, the blend with the highest latakia presence I can tolerate is Epiphany. If it had more, I wouldn't smoke it.
I'm still hopeful though and I'll keep revisiting, but really, I'm amazed at you guys that can detect other components when there's much latakia present.

Jan 8, 2013
I'd go for blending Syrian Latakia if you can get some,
Good luck with that. There aren't even any blends being made it with it anymore. It's gone, and we'll likely never see it again. If the blenders can't get it, you surely can't get it. Unless you find someone willing to sell their bulk Syrian. But you'll paying a pretty hefty price. Get some Cyprian Latakia, which is what most blends are made with these days. That's the flavor you're likely going to encounter.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
heard about syrian latakia warehouse burning down, and no longer allowed to make them due to limited supply of wood need to make them or something. and civil war, of course. i'll try pirate kake and some straight latakia. thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.