PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My friends and family generally think I am touched in the head.
This really has nothing to do with whether or not I smoke a pipe.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
My wife tolerates it but would not miss it.

My kids think it's cool.

My dad digs it, and most of my pipes are his old ones, although he hasn't smoked in years.

Many in the extended family don't get it and think it's awful to use tobacco, but many of them are popping Prozac and shooting Botox which I don't get, so there you go.

I work and travel a lot in L.A., and I think a lot of younger people appreciate it and are intrigued. Most are vaping anyway, and when they see an old dude with a tobacco pipe it's old-school and authentic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad chain smoked a pipe, Granger, with a year off now and then when he smoked King Edward cigars. My mom loved to smoke cigarettes in order to gesture dramatically but was so immune to the allure of nicotine that packs of cigarettes usually went stale. So they never reacted to my occasional smoking. My late wife had a two/three pack a day cigarette habit until, after several tries, she quit. I quit my pipe in solidarity, but had the occasional cigar when on business travel. My current wife was a serious Camels smoker for years, but quit long before we got together (we were college friends but not an item, though I did visit her in NYC when I was in the Navy). My wife has bought me a number of beautiful pipes and has an uncanny ability to pick out blends I like. So my smoking, or not, has never been a family issue. Friends either turn white and warn me about the health hazards, or smile when I tell them, and say, "I thought you'd smoke a pipe." Or something like that.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
They think I'm a bit odd. I'm pretty sure that would be the assessment without the pipe as well though.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I keep to myself with my smoking, and like to relegate it to a nice large area along the river that flows right by my dorm, just off of campus. Occasionally other students will walk by and comment, usually with positivity or interest. It's even sparked a couple conversations, which is always fun. My family does not know I smoke, however. The bulk of them are very decidedly against smoking of any kind and I don't feel like dealing with the disappointment and concern that my parents would certainly display.

May 4, 2015
As I said on a previous thread, I've given my family plenty of more serious things about which to be disappointed in me. Smoking probably doesn't even rank in the top 5.

Aug 14, 2012
I confessed and started smoking in public at age 15. It was in the 1950s. The expected fuss never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.