PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Friends and family no problem. In-laws never did like me...so I smoke my pipe to piss them off even more.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
my mom is amused by it, she says i look like a gentleman in deep thought, she sometimes complains about the smell though, there are those who dont understand the pipe and they tell me I going to get cancer, hell i work in a cancer hospital and hell some of those people never ever had smoked in thei life and they still get the big c, I rather stick to my guns and love what i like to do the most, other old school fellas, they look at me with admiration and they dont mind me smoking my pipe.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Wife would rather I not, but she's accepting of it. Friends know me as the go-to pipe guy. I'm 34, been smoking a pipe for a couple years after exclusively cigars for four. Now I just keep a small humidor of cigars for the occasional one.
All in all, people are pretty accepting. Not many pipe smokers on Maui, though. Well, the tobacco kind.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It used to be that way here, too, but people are branching out into pipes as a good way to relax and enjoy life.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I LOVE that these new guys are dredging up these old threads. Makes for a fun flashback moment. My mom is gone, my dad knows I'm grown, my wife gave me the shed out back as a man cave, and my son has a 7 day set picked out of my pipes for his 18th Birthday in 6.5 years. I have as much support as I could ever need.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
None of my family ever liked when I smoked cigarettes... but pulling a pipe out of my pocket never got a second look. Too many pipe smokers in the family for it to be otherwise.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
WoW! a blast from the past. I wonder what happened to these guys and gals, some were prolific posters for awhile.
I've always been a pipe and cigar smoker and my family just lives with it. I never over did it and it goes both ways with her interests but I always had a pipe going when I'm sitting in my chair. My kids grew up sitting in my lap watching TV with me with a pipe going.

My wife turns a blind eye to the deliveries and new pipes (what? this old thing? I've had it for years!) that are piled on my table. She knows that pipe shows and cigar lounges are a part of life and travel. (I've spent my fair share of time sitting in dressing room lounges)

She even takes some pride in the collection "we've" built over the years. 8O

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
The girlfriend is an enabler by joining me on tobacco and pipeshop adventures. She sometimes obliges me to take both pipes when a choice has to be made...And by kindly looking the other way when we pay for the last case of PAD or TAD...
My parents already gifted 2 pipes for Xmas and they adore the smell of aromatics (caramel tobacco they call it). I come from a family where my grandparents and parents, uncles, aunts all have worked in the cigar industry at some point in their life. We also had some setbacks due to tobacco consumption, but as long as it's not an addiction and I don't inhale, they see it as a guilty pleasure in my hectic life. They also have this liberal attitude concerning alcohol consumption :)

But when with my family I only smoke in my smoking lounge or outside when at parties, and usually when my nieces and nephews are in bed
I only smoke in the presence of very close friends, and they are fine with it. They think it adds to my reflective and distinguished look :)

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Never have worried about what others think. However, being a courteous smoker, as most all of us are, I usually try to smoke a tobacco with a good room note when around others (esp. Those Damn. Nonsmokers). Otherwise, whatever pleases me.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
My wife would rather I didn't, but she "let's Jeff be Jeff". She also thinks she is the lucky one.
Which actually proves how lucky I am.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
Some of my family members and friends know I smoke pipes; others don't. Those who know approve or don't care. Those who don't know might or might not care, but either way, they probably wouldn't find me smoking my pipe because there wouldn't be much reason for me to smoke around them. I'm just saying that I haven't disguised the fact that I smoke pipes, and that those who already know are indifferent, like it, or have even tried it because of me. ;-)
When I was a young guy, it took me a while to get comfy smoking my pipe around others. Mainly, I was afraid older family members wouldn't approve or like it. I was also shy about it because I had started smoking aromatic cigars and pipes well before I turned 18 (I indulged mainly on my own, except for sharing an occasional Black & Mild or bowl with a friend). At college, where I found out I wasn't the only teenage pipe smoker in the world, just about everybody I knew liked it when I smoked my pipe (was and still am an aromatic kinda guy). When my mom found out I'd been smoking pipes, she was mainly concerned about my drifting over to cigs, but she totally understood that most pipe smokers didn't inhale and smoked for the enjoyment. She was totally on board, said she thought a pipe really suited me well, and always encouraged me to smoke my pipe because she loved the aroma so much. My dad had a similar reaction a little later on, and my younger brother took to sharing a pipe or aromatic cigar with me now and then. Not sure how things would've gone if people had been rabid anti-tobacco types who equate all smoking with big tobacco, addiction, and anti-social behavior.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, some think It's elegant and classy. While some others think of it as something of a hipster and pretentious.. But most people are intrigued by it and want to know more. That's of course without mentioning the huge amount of health risk warnings I get

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
Family are quite happy about it. My maternal grandfather had half of one lung chopped out in the 1960's due to cancer, but the doctors told him he was fine to continue with pipes, so nobody ever raised any objections. The girlfriend absolutely loves the smell and likes to try a couple of puffs when I light up. Most of my friends are fascinated by my pipes. A good number of friends who have never smoked before have been enticed into purchasing an estate pipe off me and a bit of tobacco, and most of them are now determined pipe smokers. I've never made any attempt to hide it, and I've been quite lucky in meeting very few people who have objected to my smoking.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I think that my family reacts about the same as the general public. Most don't mind, a few enjoy it, and a handful will give me grief. The ones who give me a hard time, mostly, are former smokers (surprise, surprise). They all know that I make my living from tobacco, so they know better than to lecture me. Besides that, I'm always right.

My friends, however, are a different story because most of them are my friends because they smoke a pipe or cigars.
Russ

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
My friends all tend to be fascinated by it, my father a past nail smoker has no idea yet, and my mother likens it to her collection of fine wine and whiskey. As for the public well I havnt gotten any looks yet other than the wackybacky comments.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
The wife and son have just learned to accept it. I'm a pipe smoker and that's all there is to it. :)
My friends just think it's odd as they all think "nobody smokes a pipe anymore". I've turned a couple friends over to the pipe so they are the exception to that rule.
The parents on the other hand are against any and all forms of smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.