PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Smoked nails for 20 years, and cigars on/off for ten. So my conversion to, and obsession with, pipes and pipe tobacco was welcomed by wife and friends. Besides, what smells better than quality Pioe tobacco? It's like a gift to those in the room or bar. Those who are against pipe smoking confuse me. I don't understand the problem. It's a knee-jerk reaction based on decades of anti-tobacco propaganda and a sad commentary on how people can be easily manipulated.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Well, apart from the quips about "rocking chairs, shotguns, apron tucked strategically up under the sagged boobies, possum-pie and corn cobs" (seen as very redneck over here), they all just roll their eyes, have a giggle and make snied remarks about my eccentricity going from strength to strength.

logandow

Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
I just got my best friend interested in pipes. He is going to try it in January when he turns 18. And all it took was a whiff of erinmore in the tin!

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Along with my love of craft beers and brewing, my friends and family see my pipe smoking as the mark of a gentleman, the sign of a man who isn't afraid to enjoy the finer things that life has to offer and someone to be both feared and admired. Of course, they've never specifically mentioned these views too me. I can only surmise that such thoughts would be swimming through the head of anyone who is presented with such a striking figure of manliness.

Post of the Month.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
Along with my love of craft beers and brewing, my friends and family see my pipe smoking as the mark of a gentleman, the sign of a man who isn't afraid to enjoy the finer things that life has to offer and someone to be both feared and admired. Of course, they've never specifically mentioned these views too me. I can only surmise that such thoughts would be swimming through the head of anyone who is presented with such a striking figure of manliness.
Post of the Month.
+1
As for me, I live six hundred miles from my parents, so for them it is more out of sight, out of mind. But my father somewhat understands, and my mother worries. I have a couple friends that smoke pipes (well, tobacco at least) and others don't really care. If the lady friend becomes a bigger picture, I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there. At the very least, I will box up all of my stuff for awhile and eventually pull out some vintage pipes and aged tobacco. Win/Win.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
nikko, if a woman complains about a man's dogs, guns, pipes or booze(in moderation), she aint worth having around...
and lass, i wish i could get the warden intrested in a bit o smoke....
btw, corn cob pipes (from missouri meerscham) are great, don't feer the cob, or looking like a hillbilly/redneck as long as you gots yur teef.

levend

Lurker
Oct 22, 2016
I have a question. I'm a new briar smoker and before that I didn't smoke cigarettes but aromatic cigars occasionally. My mother is a serious cigarette addict who smokes at home and my father, despite hating my mom smoking, smokes himself time to time when with friends or when offered. When I was smoking aromatic cigars such as backwoods or captain blacks with vanillia, they didn't care and actually liked it's smell. They liked the idea and smell of briar pipe at first too.
After a while when we had fights and arguments on totally different topics, we started to dislike each other. They suddenly started to dislike everything about me and especcially my pipe smoking. Now, I smoke around my friends outside, in cafes and bars. Some of the people are non-smokers and some never seen someone smoke a pipe nor knew the smell of it yet they loved it. Even the smokers commented many times, it smells great and doesn't smell bad as the cigarettes they smoke. As a non smoker, I personally can comment that if it would smell anything like a cigarette, I wouldn't be able to smoke it myself. (I don't inhale and never inhaled any kind of smoke before) It pretty much seems like that, considering all the other comments and recations of other people and their first reaction before the arguments, the fact that they do not actually dislike the smell, but they dislike me. What do you say about when smokers complain about smell of pipe tobacco which is far better quality, free of chemicals and natural. Could it really be they actually get disturbed of the smell or are they just mobbing? Honestly, I don't give a shit I am just trying to understand the stuation.
I usually smoke davidoff blends and mac baren seven seas blends.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
A cigarette smoker can never say anything about your pipes, or the smell they produce. You are better than them. :puffpipe:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
My children think my pipes are trumpets. Whenever a box arrives they swarm the delivery person. Invariably, I have to open the box in their presence to confirm that the contents are not for them. So, when I take the new pipe out I blow through and play a little song just like if it was a trumpet. Now they get excited to try out my new pipes.
My wife hasn't mentioned much about it until just the other day when she was talking about students smoking around her building. I remind her that I smoked a pipe to which she responded "but that's natural and masculine". Any thoughts of quitting quickly left my mind and flowed directly to my lower half where they took on an entirely new dimension.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
levend: Just as different makes of cigarettes and cigars have different aromas so do blends. Pipe blends are just as capable of stinking up the room as any other smell, perfume, different foods, etc. Some people enjoy the room note of certain blends and others will tolerate none. I do not like the smell of stale smoke no matter the source.
And I'd never make such an unqualified statement as, "pipe tobacco which is (of) far better quality, free of chemicals and natural." I doubt very much that you can support such. I smoke an "all natural no additives" cigarette myself. The tobacco is of first-rate quality. And the room note, I've been told, is nothing compared a very tasty English blend which, in deference to others, I smoke only when alone.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I'm blessed with the fact that I can pretty much get away with anything.
For me, anything besides smoking, motorcycles, and tattoos. My mother doesn't know I smoke, doesn't think I'll get a tattoo even though I want one, and isn't happy that I'm planning on buying an Indian at some point. She'd be very upset if she learned that I was smoking.
Girlfriend isn't happy about it, thinks it is a phase. Gives me grief about it quite often.
Everyone else I hang around with is a smoker, so.... They're good with it.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Fist I don't go around telling people about myself and this forum is the closest thing to social media I belong to, so when people find out about my pipe smoking some are surprised some not.
Second and finally, I don't give a rats ass what you think about me, my habits, hobbies and tattoos, I was not put on this earth to impress or entertain you, I've made my peace with Jesus and I am loved and happy, period

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I hide it. This knowledge would only worry/concern my family. They don't much distinguish between nicotine and heroin. Silly? Absolutely, but family is family.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My family has a history of passing down the "I do what I want" gene. Not much is said.
Now at first I had a few frinds that gave me a hard time, but after a few years now, noone says much.

May 4, 2015
I regularly receive tobacco and gift cards to purchase tobacco as gifts. My family, both proper and in-laws are more than fine with it.

levend

Lurker
Oct 22, 2016
Warren: Well, in my country market only consists of chemically enriched cigarettes and those are the ones makes your room/clothes stink. My parents smoke these. If they had a better taste in tobacco or afford it, they wouldn't argue about my pipe smoking, would they. My blends on the other hand smells nicr to everyone and doesn't stink to any room or clothes. If I really want to get rid of the smell I just have to get the place aired and it is off for good in 10 mins. The irony is, they are smokers of shittier stuff, they used to love the smell of my pipe and now after the tides change, they started to dislike it.

Status
Not open for further replies.