Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There are no smokers in my family, friends or neighbors. So, they think I'm just a little strange. They thought that before, so this confirms their suspicions. I like to keep them guessing, so that suits me fine.

Jul 15, 2011
I think I am one of the lucky ones - my wife smokes
I have never gotten the girlfriend to indulge in a pipe, but she will occasionally puff on one of the small flavored cigars while I have a pipe if the mood suits her. She has become particular to the Al Capone Rum flavored cigars and the Thompson Cigar Java flavored cigarillos (I bought a bundle for me not too long ago and I think she has smoked more of them than I have.) Maybe one day Ill get her to take the leap.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
My family are all good with it. mum even picks up pipes for me when i get them at auction and it is in her area. dad gave up nails a few years ago, but i remeber he tried a falcon out when i was a kid my younger bro is all good with it, i got him into growing it now just have to give him a pipe and baccy to set im off, mmm xmas?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
My family doesn't care what I do. My friends think it would be odd if I didn't do something out of the mainstream. Most other acquaintances in Washington State frown on smoking of all kinds.

I just enjoy it whatever anyone else thinks. :puffy:

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i grew up in a small town in ohio when it seemed like everyone was smoking something. my family all smoked and i have been smoking about everything i could try since i was 13... i've never really been one to care what people think of my habits and choices, as they are mine.

Jul 12, 2011
they are all anti-smokers...so you can only imagine the times I have, but I only smoke outside year-round, winters are tough (I pack smaller bowls to not freeze to death) :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My children have never seen me without a pipe, and my mother likes to come out and sit with me while I am enjoying a bowl. My friends think its cool, and some have taken it up because of my piping. I don't think I have ever heard a complaint, but maybe i just wasn't listening, being wrapped up in the spirit of the smoke...

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
My family would rather me smoke a pipe that to smoke cigarettes, in fact if it's the smell goodie stuff then their estatic about it. My Mother in law says (I just love the smell of a pipe) and then Im thinking ( Yea right, Lets see what you think about C&D's da Vinci that Im stuffing in my pipe right now.)

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
My brother could care less. My dad thinks it's kinda neat, but I always have to hear some sort of word of warning from him whenever the subject comes up as in, "ohhh that smells good, just don't get addicted to it." :roll: But all in all hes good natured about it.
My mom...hmmmmm. Lets just say my mom and I never really got along for reasons I wont explain here. But my mom hates it and I have to hear about it whenever she sees me or the subject is brought up. "Youre going to get cancer, you look like an old man, nobody smokes a pipe anymore, do you have to do that?, that smells terrible, I dont know why you insist on doing that, etc."
It's like she has a prewritten script that she is somehow contractually obligated to repeat every time she sees me and to say those things in the meanest, most sarcstic way she can possibly muster. While it may not sound like a big deal, its because you haven't met my mom. Her personality is such that those aren't complaints you read above, they're instructions. In other words "I dont like pipes, so stop using them." And if you don't, well in her world that means your disrespecting her and your going to hear about for weeks on end.
I have to constantly remind her that...I'm 35. Yeah...like I said, we do not get along. Oh, well like they say, "you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your relatives." :puffy:

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Most folks passing by at campus have a tendency to either a) think it is very weird or else b) think it symbolizes some form of gentlemanly nature I employ (for instance one person particularly claimed to have manipulated me by exacting an 'almost promise' that I would be honor-bound to fulfill despite not actually having made it-- and his predication being that I owned a pipe -- frankly I think I have to give him credit where it is due here )
I'm not entirely fond of either case as they boil down to people either treating me as much younger, or in the latter case as much older, than I actually am -- and compounded with my actual eccentricities it has made it harder to speak with people on equal grounds (at least excepting a few old codgers from the Journalism and English departments that I have taken to passing the time with).
I speak of these in lieu of friends, as I do not have any friends. I have acquaintances and colleagues I spend a day or two a week with for maybe a month and never see again. Certainly no longer than a semester.
As for my family? Nobody cares. Everyone is a guilty-smoker annoyed by my absolute love of tobacco, and convinced it will fade and I will hate myself as much as they do later. Perhaps there's something to that, but as it stands I love my cigarettes, I love my pipes, and I love my cigars -- I like my nasal snuff and snus -- and be damned if I'd trade it for anything in the world -- excepting perhaps a preternatural ability to write, or an idetic memory,. . . I'd take those over smoking any day -- but anything in the real world anyhow.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
To be honest, I think my parents would destroy me. They know very well that in China, almost everyone smokes cigarettes, no exaggeration. When I see a man on the street not playing with his pack of cigs or smoking one, I assume he has a pack in his pocket. It's like I never see someone that doesn't smoke.
They've talked to me on the phone and said, on several occasions, "Hey, you better not be picking up that Chinese habit of smoking" (btw, I am an ABC). I know that any sort of explanation wouldn't work, so I don't tell them. It also doesn't help that when I was younger, I had some asthma issues, but ever since I started swimming and became a member of my high school/college swim team, it hasn't been a problem. To them, smoke = inhale = death, and actually I had an uncle that had some severe asthma AND smoked cigarettes. Sadly, he did pass away due to an asthma attack, and for that reason, my parents would go ballistic if they knew I was anywhere near smoking anything. I occasionally pipe because of the non-inhaling nature of this type of tobacco. I'm aware of the risks of smoking anything and I'm willing to take that risk for now... We'll see what happens in the future.
When I get back to the states, well, I might actually stop until I'm back on my college campus. It's all a tricky and risky business I'm playing here...

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
No problems with me smoking my pipe.My wife smokes SYO and we both smoke in the people cave in the garage.Grandchildren are ok with it 'cos they think it's ok what with me being old and all.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I don't think anyone I know really cares. Since I have been doing it for so long it is just part of me. One of my nef's picked it up in collage and when his mother asked him about it, he just said Unc does not so why not me? After the hands on hips dirty look at me, she got over it, or at least doesn't stare me down anymore.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
well my friends think its cool, my girlfriend like that it smells better then ciggarettes, my dad doesnt care, my brother and sister both think im stupid for smoking and say i smell like nasty smoke after i smoke, and my mother completely loathes the fact that i smoke and says the same thing as my brother and sister

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I was just wondering what your family, friends and colleagues reaction is to your pipe smoking, when you first tell them?
When ever I am telling someone for the first time about the pipe, I take off my pants. They are usually so repulsed, they if you'll put your pants back on, go ahead and smoke your pipe.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Along with my love of craft beers and brewing, my friends and family see my pipe smoking as the mark of a gentleman, the sign of a man who isn't afraid to enjoy the finer things that life has to offer and someone to be both feared and admired. Of course, they've never specifically mentioned these views too me. I can only surmise that such thoughts would be swimming through the head of anyone who is presented with such a striking figure of manliness.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
All my closest friends smoke pipe and my family all seems ok with it. I suppose they secretly aren't, but they at least keep it secret!

Status
Not open for further replies.