What do you think is good morning, afternoon and evening blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
After forty-three years of pipesmoking, I'm finally trying to get with the program here. I've never gave a thought before, but I see that many pipesmokers have specific preferences for blends depending on the time of day. I want to see if I can schedule my smokes to ensure maximum enjoyment by scheduling my blends in a more effective way. The following are the blends that I'm currently smoking most frequently:
Penzance

Oriental (this one I do enjoy in the a.m., I've happened to notice)

Frog Morton on the Bayou

Butternut Burley

Mac Baren's Navy Flake (heavy on the N vitamin!)

Habana Day Dream

Mixture 79
An eclectic crew... If anyone else is acquainted with any or all of the above, what time of day would you smoke them in? If not, which other blend(s) do you smoke around the clock?

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Not that familiar with the blends, a newbie pipe smoker here.
Usually its a Dan aromatic during the day and a VA, tword the end of the day/evening.
Tom

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Good topic Eddie, and I don't have a direct answer, but I do have an answer.
The short answer is that I generally smoke any blend at anytime of day, which is different than my practice with cigars.
Longer answer ...
I'm a newbie and I'm NOT a newbie on pipes. I started smoking pipes and cigars at the same time in 1998, but I stayed more with cigars until this year. So in the past, I would smoke a cigar or more each day and a pipe only a few times a year.
Now I smoke a pipe every day and a cigar once in a while. So I am just getting back into pipes as far as smoking a lot, but I know all the proper techniques for loading the pipe and puffing correctly.
Getting back to different blends for different times of day ...
It is common with cigars and in accordance with my habits that I would have a mild cigar in the morning, a medium one in the afternoon and then something full-bodied in the evening after a hearty meal.
I have read that pipe smokers do this too, as a heavy blend might make you light headed in the morning if you haven't eaten much for example.
Right now I smoke anything anytime, but maybe this will change as I expand my horizons. I bought a huge stack of tins of a bunch of different stuff over the past two weeks that I haven't opened yet, so let's see what happens.
I just tried the Savinelli "Special Tobacco" which was pretty smokey. I think I would only enjoy that after Locks & Bagels for breakfast. See? I'm changing already. LOL.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
Both are great replies!
buzkirk, your approach is a simple formula which I like: aromatics in the a.m. and VAs in the p.m. I'm mostly into VaPers and English blends myself, however. (Particularly Orientals blends from among the latter group. Mix 79 and Navy Flake are, I think, my only aromatic exceptions - wait a min, is MacBaren's Navy Flake an aromatic at all, or would that be just their Vanilla Flake?)
Anyway, back OT.
Kevin, your smoking history resembles mine very closely in that I only smoked cigars until recently. I've just switched back to pipe and cigars, a duo which I used to smoke in my twenties and early thirties. In the last years I've smoked cigars exclusively (aided by the fact that I live in Miami, where all the pipe B&M shops that I knew have closed down). Thanks to the discovery of the availability (and reliability) of online buying, however, I have almost completely switched to pipes, with an occasional cigar.
Thanks for the insights!

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I haven't really given any thought to what I smoke at what time of the day. I normally smoke anything at any time of the day, with the exception being English blends. I tend to smoke English blends and anything with latakia in it in the late afternoon and evening. I just don't have the taste for it early in the day.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I guess it boils down to the dictates of our body chemistry. Whatever floats your morning dinghy, your afternoon lifeboat, and your evening steamer.

jaxz

Lurker
Apr 23, 2009
I'm pretty new to pipes (1 yr). Like Kevin and Tom I was prodominately smokin' cigars and occassionally the pipes. As of late I've flopped and go with the pipe more frequently.
I tend to go with English blends, stronger the better as I tend to smoke in the evening after the kids go down. BUT, if I had it my way my "schedule" would look similiar to this:
AM: Aromatic

Afternoon: Froggy, Medium VA/per

PM: Heavy latakia (Squardon leader, Nightcap, etc)

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I am addicted to English blends, mainly McC's 5110 and C&D's Tuggle Hall. They make up my all day blends until after dinner when the "heavy hitters" are brought out. Black Irish Twist and Black XX with a little black pigtail added.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
In the morning I like a lighter smoke like an oriental or an aro. Afternoon anything goes. Except something very heavy like Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend or Nightcap. I save for late night.

Status
Not open for further replies.