PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damir

Lurker
Feb 12, 2010
These pipes are from Davorin, Croatia pipe maker, which produces pipes of abonos - morta.
http://wp.me/pTvEL-3qy
Welcome to the Forum! Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own one, but they appear to be interesting items and are reported to be good smokers. Several Forums members have posted beautiful examples, several recently.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I am having one made by a very competent and gifted pipe maker... for just under $100. Nothing fancy, just my favorite shape... We picked the Morta Block out from Steve Norse... I am curious about its smoking qualities... and they look kind of cool... but everyone seems to want $300+/- for one.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I have smoked Becker and Moretti morta wood pipes. Both presented an almost dark chocolate type of taste along with whatever tobacco I was smoking. I also noted that that the tobacco I smoked in morta pipes always had a very dry taste and the smoke was exceptionally cool.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I have one made by Chris Askwith. The quality is outstanding and smokes perfectly. It feels great in my hand, is thousands of years old, is lighter than you would expects, gets hot fast and cools fast.
My only opinion on it compared to briar (based on my one sample) is that it is very nuetral. Like listening to music in an anechoic chamber. Pure tones but no reflections or harmonics. That's the best I can "embellish" this! Just get one!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I don't have a Morta pipe but most of the ones I've seen posted here have been very good looking pipes. :puffy:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've owned three and have since let them all go. A sandblasted finish on a morta is my favorite finish for the material, especially if the maker gets the rings lined up well. Max at Il Duca is really good at this. All three o of the morta pipes I owned smoked cool and dry, and one of them tasted like bog wood for the first half dozen smokes. I liked them, but not enough to keep them.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I have always wanted a Becker morta in the dragonfly or similar shape. They are hard to come by and expensive when you do. So I don't have one. Maybe one day.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have one by Moretti. I love the way it smokes but it is a bulky Rhodesian and seems to dissipate the heat better than some others people talk about. Mine never gets hot. I think it's the combination of a thick wall and a smaller tobacco chamber.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I recently smoked my first Morta; only 1 bowl through it so far. As bcharles noted, the bowl got hotter than briar but cooled down fast. I found that my first smoke was cool, dry and good flavored right from the start. Of course I'm looking forward to more smokes in it so I can make a better determination.
From the "Manly Pipe" discussion, mine is a Rick Black pipe with claw marks and skulls (on the band)...manly yes, but my wife likes it too. :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
won't buy a Morta until Zack makes a test one for me to try. I have alwaays liked the looks of them, but I have heard too many people say it has it's own taste. I have heard that English blends smoke best in them as latakia lovers have no tasted buds to worry about flavors from the Morta. :nana:

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I have a really nice Morta from Ryan Alden. It smokes great.
I also have a recently acquired Moretti Morta but I have not tried it yet.
The Davorins are beautiful. I have heard good things about them.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
I tried a Becker morta and a few others. They taste good but a bit too absorbent. So it works better with heavy Latakia blends.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Love my Duca Morta. I've only smoked flake out of mine. I honestly see/taste absolutely no difference between Morta and briar. None whatsoever.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. 2 Becker Mortas, Dry smoking, one of my other one is Carbon Dated over 5k yrs old. Bought the NO Meer and it's a Darvoin, big and good smoker, I like Briar better.

Status
Not open for further replies.