What Do You Like Or Dislike About An Oom Paul?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have an oom paul, but for me the major drawback is the moisture that builds up in the heel. It's not from the tobacco, it's actually my spit. The oom paul I have is petite and clenching is very handy, but since it's that bent part of my saliva just goes down the stem ...

Reactions: ofafeather
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, agreed. I'm not a big fan of how they look. They just don't do anything for me. I don't mind the smoke that gets in my face, but when it gets in my eyes it really makes them water like a son of a bitch, so I try to stay away from anything burning right up against my face. Plus, I am currently regrowing out the beard and wouldn't want the bowl nestled in my face curtain.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
oom1.jpg

The shape doesn't really do anything for me, so I wouldn't have one in my collection. I do think that there is a fair amount of wood in it, so I suppose if it was a nice piece of briar, this shape would show it off nicely.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I enjoy mine for what they are - great pipes for walking the dogs or working in the garage. They are ugly to me, but they sure do work great when you need both hands free. I also smoke an Oom Paul when kayak fishing with a wind cap. I thought about selling mine, but I kept them as workhorses.
fb1qLLw.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Most of them are ugly, I think, but not all. Most of them also sport some huge chambers and weigh a ton. But I've never smoked one. I really like medium-small half-bent billiards, so according to math a large, full-bent should be about 4 times as good.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Those are very nice looking for being workhorses.

The right Ool Paul is actually the work horse. It’s quite old and an estate pipe I picked up. The perla nera I use in the garage but carefully. The egg (middle) is vintage and never smoked.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This classic video of the Castello factory (link below) is where I first noticed an Oom Paul Pipe. I knew I wanted one after seeing the carver smoking his big pipe while working. But after owning two of them now for a few years I realize that I prefer the Bent Egg to the Oom Paul and would recommend that shape instead.
Go to 5:40 in the video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Msnagew91p8
Btw, if you have never seen this video, be prepared for some wild Phil Collins music.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Btw, if you have never seen this video, be prepared for some wild Phil Collins music.
Oh yes....I have seen this one before and I remember remarking at the time that I was a little shocked when I realized just what music was playing in my ears...It's like saxaphoned up 80's music.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Have one. While not a favorite shape for me, do like the shape depending upon the pipe as I'm fond of deeply bent pipes. Agree on the wetness of it, though, as it builds up more moisture in the heel than any pipe I own. But, it's a screw-in tenon and I simply unscrew it time to time during the smoking session to take a pipe cleaner to it and it becomes manageable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the negative side, the association with the Apartheid leader of South Africa is unfortunate, though if you speak of it instead as a Hungarian, only somewhat learned pipers will know what you mean, and that that's it's second name. On the positive side: First, my wife bought me my Hungarian pipe, so that makes it special and appealing, as a Christmas gift. Secondly, the extreme bend and hang of the pipe gives a big bowl on a pipe that feels almost weightless. The good big bowl is quite deep and excellent for various blends, the dry Tabac-Manil Semois or Five Brothers, but other cuts and blends of various kinds. I never would have bought the pipe for myself, but having it, I appreciate it a lot. Mine is a Savinelli Hercules.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I like 'em, always have, but it's got to be a particular kind. Capped ones, no. Bulbous ones, also definitely no. A good clencher for old guys like me, not bad if you know how to manage the rising smoke. What I like is a good sort of angular one, lucite bit [comfort, wide-ish support, dentures. :)], craggy if possible Old Caminetto/Ascorti New Dear wax-drip type) finished ones usually look good to me. In fact my most treasured pipe is exactly that. :)
Bill

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
extreme bend and hang of the pipe gives a big bowl on a pipe that feels almost weightless. The good big bowl is quite deep and excellent for various blends
Nailed, Tom. That is literally EXACTLY why I love my old New Dear so much. HUGE bowl & nearly non-existent in felt weight.