PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
You need to always treat them with respect and be gentle. They will let you know how they want to be treated. :rofl:

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
virgins-everywhere_o_900104.jpg

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Pretty much what others have said. Virgin pipes are pipes that are "unfinished" in the sense that they do not have any stain applied. They can, however, have a coat of wax applied and still be considered "virgin".
As far as the other "virgin" that seems to be on the edge of busting out in this thread....All I will say about that is... law enforcement gets really upset when you start talking about sacrificing one to appease the Gods....

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
For the sake of completeness, here are shots of a brand new virgin stain chimney next to the original Devil Anse that is much older and very well smoked. Same maker, same stain, same stem material, etc. You can see what happens over time in visual form.
uUmdTbO.jpg

XqsR3dg.jpg

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Said Romeo to his cousin Benvolio "Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs;

Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes;"

I believe Romeo was a virgin at this point in the play and alluding to smoke fits with a pipe smokers forum.
I would like to have a pipe that ages along with me. Any recommendations for virgin finish pipe models?
I've acquired an estate Peterson billiard in rough shape. After taking a buffing wheel and abrasive to it and removing most of the crud and varnish, it has a lighter look. Rather than using carnuba wax on it I've left it as is and like the way it is slowly darkening on its own. This Peterson is a cheap knock around pipe so I don't feel the need to baby it.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
Here’s the pipe that prompted my post.
Here it is from The Danish Pipe Shop...
https://www.danishpipeshop.com/d/Johs-High-Grade-Virgin-Acorn-w-Bamboo-i4121.html
Here it is now in having just arrived Saturday...
bd982331-59cd-4c4b-82bc-493bc79af74e-600x450.jpg

curl

Apr 29, 2014
You can see that the color of the briar has darkened quite a bit.

I wish it had darkened on my watch. I liked the lighter version quite a bit...it’s coloration was one of the reasons I ordered it. Still, I’m happy with it. It’s a real babe magnet. I’ve already taken this virgin out on its maiden voyage, and I like how it smokes.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I must thank The Danish Pipe Shop for filling my order so quickly and for its excellent customer service. I heartily recommend them to you all, I know I’ll keep checking their site for my next PAD.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It’s a real babe magnet.

YES! Never heard that one before, but I like it.
Yep, that's a good example of what a virgin stained pipe looks like after it is broken in and well smoked. And you are right, the fun is watching it happen in your own hands, but that is a great pipe nonetheless.
I must thank The Danish Pipe Shop for filling my order so quickly and for its excellent customer service. I heartily recommend them to you all,

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.