PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I have a couple pounds each of C&D bulk Virginia Flake and Turkish Ismir that I mix in to create my own blends. Also, I sell blends sometimes and throw in some of these tins with the shipment with the caveat that they weren’t for me and to feel free to try them or pitch them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
710264.jpg

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
I've also never had a blend where I just hated the taste. I have, however, had a few that didn't seem to agree with my body chemistry, and they seemed harsh and bothered my throat. I tend to buy in small quantities anyways, so if I've tried it three or four times, in different pipes, and it's still harsh to me, it goes in the trash.

I only smoke a couple bowls a week, and I've already got enough blends that I like to last me the rest of my life--I don't need to force myself to try to like something that I'm not enjoying.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Blends I do not like: "age" and wait for tastes to change or something glorious to happen in the jar. I'm relatively new at this, but have had several instances where tastes have indeed changed (sometimes quite rapidly). However, the tobacco fairies have yet to magically make my undesirable blends better in the middle of the night.

Blends that are ok, but not worth buying again: these become commute smokes. There's no worry about being fully engaged, just puff and drive.

Finally, I have tossed a few blends from my early purchases... Super Value aromatics, I'm talking about you! Good luck to all in getting the most out of the tobacco you've already acquired.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If it's a non aro I can usually blend it with something to make it better. I have some sutliff red(515) and sweet(707) Virginias that work great for this. I've used D&R Ramback Balkan to beef up the oriental component of some mixtures. Stokkebye blending Latakia comes in very handy. LLRR and Carter Hall work well if you prefer to smooth things out with burley. Straight black Cavendish can sweeten and smooth out a rough blend as well. Any aro I don't like gets tossed into a coffee can. Right now, the combination of cherry, vanilla, rum, and chocolate going on in the can is better than any of the blends were by themselves. Sometimes I take a pinch from the "trash can" and mix with some over-dried English/Balkan and end up with a decent crossover.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Occasionally Forums members offer opportunities to send along tobacco to active duty military or veterans, and if you have good quality blends you just don't like, I'd send it along. Identify it carefully so the recipient can find it if they like it. I'm not a fan of throwing all the unwanted leaf in a jar; I'd rather mix a known blend with a known blend (or single leaf) so I know what I have. Random mixes can get really muddy or harsh, though you might get lucky.

Reactions: anotherbob

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
It's probably been said here already, but:
I'm still new (again) to the pipe, so I generally don't get rid of anything unless its in trade. I shelf it (cellar) with the idea I might want to try it again at some time in the future.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Blends I do not like: "age" and wait for tastes to change or something glorious to happen in the jar. I'm relatively new at this, but have had several instances where tastes have indeed changed (sometimes quite rapidly). However, the tobacco fairies have yet to magically make my undesirable blends better in the middle of the night.

Blends that are ok, but not worth buying again: these become commute smokes. There's no worry about being fully engaged, just puff and drive.

Finally, I have tossed a few blends from my early purchases... Super Value aromatics, I'm talking about you! Good luck to all in getting the most out of the tobacco you've already acquired.
I agree totally. The only things I've thrown out have been bargain stuff of low quality. But some tobaccos really do need some age to be good just like some people. For me two blends not so good out of the tin great after a few months would be Sunset Breeze by Peterson (It should have been called bitey if you ask me) it takes about a month to lose those teeth. And Rainy day by Ashton is great after about three or four months when the flavor fades and you can actually taste the tobacco too, at that point it goes from no need to smoke this again to I wish I would have just jarred the tin before smoking any of it.

Reactions: rushx9

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
usually trash, but recently I combined a 50/50 mix of Mac Baren Dark Twist and C&D OJK White, neither of which I liked solo, and it was pretty tasty

Status
Not open for further replies.