What do you do with a Blend you do not like?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iantimothy

Lurker
Apr 11, 2012
I purchased a tin of Nutty Cut (Dunhill and Rattrays usually my choice) and I just did not like it ~ so I blended a few remaining flakes of Irish Flake and a 1/4 block of Perfect Plug into the Nutty Cut. After gently mixed them, I now have something I can smoke! Glynn the tobacconist at Gauntleys (Nottingham UK) suggests a mixing jar and a splash of whiskey or bourbon ! This I may add to my mixture! any other suggestions? Ian

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Trade or give it away. Just because it doesn't agree with me doesn't mean someone else won't like it

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I used to mix it with something or add it in pinches to something else.

Unless it is something that i really cannot stand then its the filed in the square folder.

Strangely enough though many blends i originally thought i did not like i have ended up liking while i have had it mixed.

These days though i tend to make sure i smoke half a tin to really make sure i don't like something. Often enough by the time i get half way through i end up thinking it is fine

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I usually blend what I dont like with PA, I have a running mix of half PA, half whatever I put in the jar. If I really cant stand it, I give it to someone who likes it.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
I'm with Jchaplick Prince Albert makes damn near everything smokable. Pa is to bad toby as Mtn dew is to cheap vodka.

johnny

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
I jar it up and let it sit for a while. I get back to it eventually and if I still don't like it, I'll let it sit a while longer. Tastes change and no sense in throwing out tobacco. If I notice someone wanting that particular blend, I'll give it or trade it

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Very much agree it is a good idea to smoke several bowls before you give up. Also have a glass jar which I dump stuff I'm not fond of into. Left half the jar empty so I can shake it up thoroughly. Aged long enough and shaken often enough it turns out pretty darn good. Waste not, want not. :roll:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If I just don't care for it, I'll jar it up and come back later. If it tastes awful or if the wife says it smells like a rotting corpse ( Macbaren London burley) i'll toss it, even if I like the flavor, she doesn't deserve such smells, she lives here too.

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
I jar it up and let it sit for a while. I get back to it eventually and if I still don't like it, I'll let it sit a while longer. Tastes change and no sense in throwing out tobacco. If I notice someone wanting that particular blend, I'll give it or trade it
Ditto.... tobacco and personal tastes can change dramatically in a few months. If that fails, send it my way :puffy:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Smoke it anyway because last time I checked I'm a MAN.
......I throw it in a jar with the other rejects and smoke em at a later date.

(like when you've had a good amount of drinks and can't really taste the nuances of the smoke so you smoke your leftovers because you don't want to waste good tobacco but you need something to smoke because that's just the way it is)
Because I'm a MAN.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I usually toss it in my monster mash jar and blend it with other rejects. Usually the results are good.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I have thrown tobacco out before, but I try not to do that anymore. Now, I'm more likely to save it, and try it again later - hoping that it was the circumstances of the first bowl. I'm pretty good at making a good tobacco taste bad...smoking it too fast or maybe packing it too tight. Also, outside humidity can be a factor. The pipe I used can be a factor. Even my initial attitude at the moment can effect what I think about the tobacco.
After that, I try a sample mixed with Perique. Or send it to someone who will enjoy it.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I too either give it away or I'll mix it with other tobaccos. Recently I took some 1792 Flake which didn't sit well with me, so I mixed it with some Lane Limited MV-1000 and Altadis Burly Light. It makes for a nice smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.