What do you do with a Blend you do not like?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I've given it away to friends before, some have loved it, others hated it like I did. Now if it's been tried by several and nobody liked it, I use it as snake repellant. Tobacco kills snakes dead in nothing flat, and most will avoid the areas where it's spread. So it gets spread around the flower beds and the perimeter of the property. Haven't seen a snake around the house in a while..

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Like a few have said already, for me it goes into whatever jar I have that's almost empty and gets mixed, sometimes with 2-3 blends. Experimenting can be fun.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I went to the John Wesley Harding school. If it hangs around too long, I shoot it just for snorin' too loud!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I put in a jar and go back too it down the road . It helps to keep a little notebook with tasting notes ,you never know when you will get a hankerin for a certain flavor .

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
There are so many tobaccos out there that if I smoke one I can't stand I simply toss it and move on to the next one.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If its something I might like later, I jar it up to smoke later. If its something I know I will not like later, then I offer it up for someone else to try.
+1 Spartan!

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Give it away to a fellow pipe smoker. The favor usually gets returned in the pipe smoking world .

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Here's where it's great to belong to a pipe club (or several). Usually I bring my favorites to share with the members, but if I have a blend that's not right for me, I have the others give it a try - funny how different folks like different things.
hp

les

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will end up giving away something I don't like more times than I will trade it. It is easier than trying to find something I do like in a trade.
roth, interesting take on the new Veermaster. I bought the new stuff and have been enjoying it. I have an 11 year old tin that I am smoking out of and yes the older is more refined, has more nose and is fuller, but I like the freshness of the new one as well. I also put aside over half a pound of the new one to age.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
1. Divide whatever pipe tobacco you don't like into small, individual ziplock baggies like these:
41b9KlmLWGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

2. Place all these smaller bags into one larger ziplock bag, but do not seal it
3. Secretly place the entire bag into your friend's backpack when you're about to board a flight somewhere
4. When you are going through TSA, reach into the friend's backpack and pull out the large baggie, spilling all the smaller bags all over the security checkpoint and say "WHOA MAN, I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU WEREN'T GOING TO BE SELLING ALL THE HUMBOLDT COUNTY REDBUD, HAHAHAHA!"
5. Explain it was all a practical joke, TSA will get a kick out of it, trust me

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
If the blend isn't too bad I through in a little black cavendish. I have only had one blend that I couldn't keep and it was Jackknife plug. Wasn't bad tasting just too much nicotine so I traded it off.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
:rofl: Adam12. Don't try that at La Guardia or Newark Int. They have zero sense of humor. Don't ask me how I know.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Yes, Mr. TSA Agent, I'll be happy to comply... but first may take a moment and murder my travelling companion?"

Aug 14, 2012
I age it. The tobacco and my taste will probably be different in a few years. If it really awful I toss it or throw some in the flower beds.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
If I absolutely can't smoke it, I will trade it or give it away. Two of my sons-in-law and one of my sons will smoke anything I send their way. I have traded with several folks here on the forum as well. Sometimes, though, letting a tobacco air out for a while, or aging in a sealed tin, will change it for the better. There are too many people out there feeling the pinch to toss out tobacco.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have fun experimenting with bad tobaccos I have picked up. Heck, play mad scientist because after all "you don't like it as is". Got some grand marnier? Toss a few splashes in a plastic container and chuck the baccy in there. Close the lid and shake it all up. Now leave it sit for a few weeks and then come back and pop the lid, lay it all out on some paper towels until it's almost bone dry. Now try it! - Got some other tobacco that you have a large supply of and can use in your experimentation?> Mix them together and try it that way.
I got stuck with Peterson's Summertime 2012 and although by itself I found it just awful (lime is too powerful and crappy for baccy). So I mixed it with 3 other tobaccos I had laying around and mixed them well. I then chopped some University Flake and added that to the mix. Needless to say it turned out wonderful. The other flavors have eliminated the lime taste in the Peterson's and the Peterson's gave the mix a nutty flavor I rather like. YOu just never know until....you try! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.