PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
What do you folks do for a living? And can you/do you smoke at work?
I'm in my 2nd year now starting out as a mechanic at a Volkswagen/Subaru dealership. It's a bit too dirty and flammable a job to smoke on the clock (plus customers probably don't want their 2015 VW passats smelling like GL Pease's house. But I do smoke on the short drive to and from work and of course during my hour break. In fact I'll often forego lunch in favor of a good calming pipeful! ☺️
I know we can't all be theologians, philosophers, and physicists!
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles.

Thank you Robert.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm a theologian, philosopher, and physicist. Not only do I smoke at work, but I sometimes burst into flames.
(really, I'm a photographer. Smoking a pipe is difficult with a camera pressed up against my face, and my studio is usually someone else's office, lab or classroom. And I'm a VW owner: 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Actually, we have 2 of them.)

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I work in recreational fishing in France, my entire life revolves around carp hence the profile pic. I spend ALOT of time outdoors so can smoke when I want and living in France it's almost compulsory

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
At its simplest, I watch people work all day and still other people pay me to do it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Quality trainer for a fuel pump manufacturing company. Lots of gasoline around for test purposes. Do have an outdoor smoking facility though.

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
Teach guitar for a living for the last 15years. Although more part time lately due to me focusing on pipes making.

Unfortunatly no smoking while teaching! Although I love a pipe while practicing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My long time day job was with an environmental health research agency, writing and editing, first for communications and public information, and later to interpret what we did to Congress, when Congress used to care one way or the other and actually legislated. Now I do literary writing of various kinds, when I'm not on Forums that is. Early in my working life, I was in the Navy, and later a veterans benefits counselor on campus, mostly for GI Bill, but other benefits as well. On day jobs, I never smoked anything.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
I've been retired for about a year and a half. Before that I was a software engineer/programmer (Avionics, Cartography, Educational Software). Before that I taught English and Speech. I much prefer retirement.
I was able to smoke in the teacher's lounge in every school I taught in, and the lunchroom in my first programming job, but after that, outside only. Now I may only smoke in the basement. Compromises must be made sometimes. And it's kind of like sending a kid to his room when he's got three video games, a computer, and and a television in there.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Retired now easy to smoke I once was a financial planner tax man depended whether my office or some else"s. Had secretary who banished me to my office. Shel

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
@ drennan:
You have my dream job! I originally aimed to go into fisheries biology. I'm an avid fly fisher and would love to fish France's waters!

But alas, kids kept coming and I needed to pay bills and just sorta fell into my line of work. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but it can't compare to being on the water.

Still haven't caught my first decent carp yet though. I've been stalking a school of white Amur grass carp at a pond next to my work, but can't get any big ones to hit.

I did get a little 12 incher though, so I know they can be caught on a fly, despite what all my sources have said.
@ woodsroad:
Oh boy, I love those tdi's! Great engines. I currently have a nasty wound that's scarring up nicely on my forehead from dealing with some bad diesel on one of those though.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Currently I work for a very small machine shop. I'm learning both old school and cnc machining. More or less I'm an apprentice in everything but title. Too busy to smoke at work.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'd been in tech most my life, I recently started a new job at the beginning of the year. Sales Engineer for a Firewall Monitoring software company. I love the freedom of this job, my commute to work is walking up my stairs to my office. I don't smoke IN my office but step out on occasion to have a bowl if the mood strikes me.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Securities Lawyer doing M&A cr*p also part owner of a novelty pipe tobacco company. In my spare time I practice beetle sexing and midget tossing against velcro walls and grossing out my secretary by doing musical farts in the office. My brass orchestra section is particularly popular during morning coffee break. I smoke non stop in the office and around my home and always use the same meerschaum style of pipe! :rofl:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
@Nathaniel, the TDI engine is superb. Instant starts and smooth running in the coldest weather, torque out the wazoo and a 0-60 that leaves bystanders saying "THAT"S a wagon?" I want one in a true sportscar, but for now it's the best wagon that I've ever owned, and I've had lots. The other engines that I've loved were the Audi 12v 2.8 (1995 Audi 90 Quattro S) and the Subaru EJ205 turbo (in the 2003 WRX).
But if the VW TDI Sportwagen was AWD it would be the best car ever.
Pipe Link: I smoke a pipe in this car and the car smells just fine. I used to smoke cigars in previous cars, and eventually they smelled awful. Another reason to love the pipe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in7yLZJ7A6Y

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Fun thread!

I am a self employed jeweller, I smoke at the bench in my workshop maybe twice a week, but many of the steps in my process, like polishing, are too hands on for me to easily smoke and work. The rest of the weeks smokes are often in my workshop on the couch in the corner, but not while working.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm going on 21 years now as a Medical Laboratory Scientist and work as a generalist in all areas of the lab including Chemistry, Hematology, Serology, Microbiology and Blood Bank.
In order to smoke, I must step off of hospital property which is not that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.