PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
As far as I understand, Indian is not as offensive as it was previously. When know, it is best to use the name of the Nation when describing a group.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Talked to Ute friend of mine and he explained how they "smoked" the mullen the same as they did meat in a smoke teepee then they use a roll knife and cut it in strips a small pieces. Very interesting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know nothing about it, but I thought that the term "Indian" was re-accepted as a point of honor, with a little sardonic spin by the nations themselves that it captures the fact that Europeans, upon "discovering" North America and other areas in the hemisphere thought they'd made it to India and called them Indians. So ha-ha, and we'll go with that. Maybe not, but perhaps so.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Really great thread. Thanks for all those sharing what they know.
One of my favorite classes in school was Medicinal Botany (and also my most expensive textbook). I recall the use of tobacco was discussed in some detail, but it was so long ago... well, that's another thread.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Mullein can be smoked to relieve chest congestion and stuffy noses. I haven't tried it but learned about it from a Blackfoot.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
“ Wonder if they'll edit out the tobacco references! “
The latest edition of the text says the native peoples were only blowing soap bubbles in their pipes.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
LOL
I don’t see how telling the truth about matters of history and science are controversial, but that’s often the case.

Anyway, that’s a whole different topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.