PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

As I smoked this evening, I was looking at my collection and it hit me that I have a strong preference for pipes that are stained some hue of red. I have other colors, but red really dominates. I'm wondering what the color preferences of others here might be. Do you lean towards a particular color of pipe?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not fond of black, though some pipes wouldn't look right any other color. No real preference.

Reactions: kurtbob

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
All manner and shades of brown, and some with reddish hues. Lots of black, too, but only in blasts or rustication.
I'm similar with this. Black, for some reason, only seems to work on rough surfaces for me. I don't like smooth, black pipes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Black and brown or tan. Like the others I think black goes well with a blast or rustication. My brown pipes look more and more alike. Some have darkened considerably.

Reactions: Elric

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Haven't really cared about this much. Heck, for someone who cares about which shape suits his face best, I'm not doing my homework well by ignoring colour!! :eek:

Mine are all over: black, dark brown, red, light brown, with transparent stems...
Same here. It goes like this.......see a pipe, argue with myself as to do I really need another one, talk myself into it, order said pipe but no real preference for color

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Yeah, I’m drawn to light brown or natural mostly but all my pipes are turning dark brown too.

My meer that’s slowly darkening is one of my favorites so I guess I like to see the color transition of every pipe over time. No black pipes for me.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've never really thought about it other than the color should seem to "suit" the pipe itself. Blasts and rustications should be darker colors, smooths should be brown but in shades from light to dark.

But for some pieces the sky is the limit:

I have a snail that is green that I don't think would work in any other color except maybe the right shade of brown.

I've got another pipe that the smooth parts are a rich brown color but the sides have vertical carved lines that are black with almost a metallic blue hue. The result is stunning.

I've got another pipe with a blast finish that is actually red but seems to change to brown or black depending on the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.