What Brand/Artisan is Most Represented in Your Collection?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
And why is it the most represented?
For me, it's Castello. I now own 32 and absolutely love the way they smoke. The briar tastes incredible and the draw is as wide open as it gets. The pipe I find myself reaching for most often is a Castello because I have just never had a less than stellar smoke from one. I know exactly what I am going to get every time I light the bowl.
The second most represented would be the pipes of Rad Davis of which I have 21. They all smoke wonderfully and they provide great bang for the buck in the artisan market. All but three of mine are blasts, and they all look fantastic.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Good question Peck, I have more John Calich and Peterson pipes than any other brand. I think when you get over eight your entering collector territory.

Dec 24, 2012
Hey piper - I have a couple Calichs as well. One needs some restoration - I may ask Pat to do that when I see him in a few weeks.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
The most represented pipe maker in my collection is Philip Trypis. Acquiring a collection of 32 NOS of his pipes from the 70s/80s meant I was spoiled for choice, and I added to the few I kept with acquisitions from antique stores and from Smokeybear. I have nine of Philip's pipes, and they are all wonderful smokers and exhibit his hallmark semi-rusticated style and his take on classic shapes. I have to say that I'm partial to these pipes, also, because of the fact that Philip is local, and because of his history with Brigham.
I am enjoying building my "Made in Canada" pipe collection, and have added some higher grade Brigham pipes, and a Vesz to the collection.
Peck, you know that I'd be happy to help if the work isn't beyond my skill-set.
-- Pat

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Of my 60+ pipes, about half are vintage Comoys. The rest are evenly split between Dunhill, Ashton and Charatans. With a smattering of Michael Parks, Stephen Downie, Trever Talberts, Petersons, Stanwells, Radice and Falcons.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sevenelli, Peterson, Johs, Bentons (Iwan Ries Exclusives), and the N.C. carver Jerry Perry each have four

or more pipes in my stable.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Peck, I neglected to say why they are the bulk of my collection which I guess I missed when I originally read your post. John was a personal friend. He meant a lot to me and we would chat for hours about pipes, and tobacco and life in general. John gifted me my first Calich pipe. At the time I had a few cheap BC pipes and I was having trouble with them. He patiently taught me things about pipe smoking that my father didn't have time to before he passed. Sadly I had moved away and never got a chance to say good bye to John before his passing. He will always be remembered as a gentleman of the briar. The Calichs smoke amazing, are very light bowled and have for me the best bit thickness that I have come across. The Petersons are the most robust pipes I have of my collection and my Peterson 999 silver band continues to be the one pipe that sees the most use in my rotation. I hope that Calich smokes great for you when your restoration is done. I know Pat will do a great job for you!

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
I humbly request to see pictures of Pecks pipe collection! I'm sure it's a marvelous sight to behold!

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
Oh, and my small collection is mostly made up of Savinelli...great smokers at cheap prices!

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
Technically it would be Nording since I have been hunting his pieces for so long, but lately (and speaking of the rotation pipes and not the overall collection) it would have to be Gabrieli. Dan Cheblov does an amazing job, in my humble opinion, of designing his pipes and they really hit home on multiple levels for me. When I sit down to enjoy a smoke I want a full experience. As the tobacco takes hold, the pipe has to fit well in my palm and want to be held, it has to have a good weight as to allow clenching when necessary, but most of all (and hardest to find) the pipe must make me want to get lost in contemplating that grain/shape/design relationship. Gabrieli pipes have yet to disappoint me on any of those fronts and I find their quality phenomenal in terms of repeat and consistent smoking. With all that said however I think what keeps me coming back to Dan's work is that I have found no greater joy than breaking in a Gabrieli pipe. There is a taste... almost a sweetness that comes natural to his Briar that I have yet to find elsewhere. By the time a piece is fully broken in, I find myself wanting to pick up the phone and beg to snoop around his bench for my next purchase. Of all the Gabrieli pipes that I have been fortunate enough to acquire, I have yet to be even slightly disappointed with a single one. Those are by far and away better odds than I have experienced with any major name out there. This is of course an opinion thread so take mine for what you feel it's worth...but better than half the time I sit for a smoke now is with a Gabrieli pipe... that has to count for something.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Of the pipes in my collection I have more Rad Davis(18)pipes than any other by a wide margin. The second most represented pipes I have are 4 Brian Ruthenberg's.
Like peck I feel that Rad is by far the best value for an artisan made pipe. The blasts that he does and the stem work cannot be found for the prices he charges. You can definitely spend more money and get great pipes but when I want a new artisan pipe I always go with Rad. I have other artisan pipes that are great smokers, but all but one was purchased as an estate because I would not spend the money required for a new one. I see other artisans making some great pipes, but the ones I feel are in the same league as a Rad are all over the 550.00 price range and to me they are not worth the added expense.
I would own more than the one Castello I have if they came with the same type of stems as are on my Rad's because they are fantastic smokers. I am just too picky now about stems to settle for something that is not as comfortable.
Peck, I had no idea you had that many Rad's and Castello's. How many freaking pipes are you up to now?

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
I have about 30 pieces in my collection. The most represented Artisan at the moment is Frank Axmacher, I own 3 of his pipes. And 3 Dunhills... Followed by several carves of which I own 2 pipes.

Dec 24, 2012
Piper12 - very cool story about Calich - he is a legend. Very tough to find his pipes on the estate market, which says a lot because he made a ton of pipes over the years.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
If I go by what is in my meager collection I would have to say it is as follows:
1. Trypis - thanks to Pruss I was introduced to the world of Trypis and love the 4 that I acquired from him. These pipes all smoke well and never let me down, not to mention they are all lookers.
2. Brigham - thanks to brdavidson, I have enjoyed this line of pipes and seem to be copy-catting him. Every time he buys a pipe and post photos I seem to fall in love with the pipe and need to acquire it.
Holy $hit - I'm a Canadian. These damn Canucks have tricked me into buying local. Damn you from the GWN, Damn you!!!!!!! :rofl:
3. Savinelli/Stanwell/Butz-Choquin/Brebbia - these are all good smokers, look good, and are reasonable priced pipes.
I do have one Peterson St Patty's Day pipe (2013) and like Christmas Cheer baccy I feel I will be buying one of these every year. The one I have just LOVES Escudo so I have dedicated that pipe to that blend.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Savinelli followed by Pre- Republic Petersons. I am 3 short of a seven day set of the Pre-Republic Pete's. I am 4 short of a seven day set of made in Canada Brighams.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
The pipes in my collection are from the following companies or artisans:
Premal Chheda, Bob Swanson, Dave Neeb, Bruce Weaver, Rad Davis, John Dengler, Savinelli, Dunhill, GBD.
I had other pipes in my collection that were estates from Comoy, Dunhill and others which I sold when I needed to make room on a credit card to pay some expenses of my elderly mom interest free.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Of the 42 smokers in my reputation, I have the following stats:

GBD: 12, by far the brand most represented

James Upshall: 7

Ashton: 5

Status
Not open for further replies.