What are your experiences with a Craig Ashton pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
My only experience with Ashton pipes was a custom lx bent bulldog that was made by Bill for me back in 2005 or 2006. It was a great pipe but stupidly I sold it like all my pipes from that time in my life. I have been chatting with Mr Craig about a custom pipe and wondering how they compare to Mr Taylor's pipes, Ferndown, and Northern Briar pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own an Ashton, but I hear they are fine English pipes. I've looked at them from time to time. Is there much different between the different quality levels, the number of XXX's attached to a particular pipe? By my standards, they are really pricey. I'm big on Savenelli's, Stanwells, Petes from some years ago, and economy U.S. factory pipes, Johs, and others. But Ashtons look very good.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have one. A squat bulldog XX blast with a tortoise shell stem. I love it, would have two if it had been priced the same as the Ron Fairchild I pick up at the NOLA pipe show.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@mso489: The X designation on Ashton pipes (Taylor or Craig) is supposed to the size (XXX is the largest). Jimmy C's size mark isn't as consistent as the Taylor era pipes.
I owned two early Craig pipes (three digit date) and found the stem work to be a little inconsistent as well (both mine had gaps). Taylor pipes are not always perfect either, so check carefully. Lately, I have found the quality of stem work on Craig pipes to have improved. I believe he has a team making those pipes, not un-similar to Taylor. Craigs sons also work for him. It seems the quality has improved with experience.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
I really like my Craig Ashton, very nice smoker...
002-006-1722-150x70.jpg

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Ashton also has a lx and elx for size. If I remember correctly the lx is about a dunhill group 5. I have been chatting with Mr Craig about a brindle lx bent bulldog with tapered stem and silver band to match my other bulldogs.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Can't answer the OP's question about newer Ashtons. All of mine were from Bill Taylor's era, but as for size, I think the LX is about a Dunhill group 6. I've always prefered Ashton's xxx size.

Photos show an Ashton LX Bulldog on top, a group 5 Dunhill below. Not too much difference in the photos, but you can really tell when you hold them in your hand.

May 31, 2012
WOW!

:!:
I love that Claret.
Nice color.
Lovely and a rarely seen shape,

scrumptiously chubby!
Swan neck'd too.
:puffy:

Mar 1, 2014
I have two Ashton pipes (marked 214 and the other 213) one Ferndown Root and I bought and returned a Northern Briar.
Other than the buttons I was quite happy. At least check that the slot is cut straight and even before you accept it, I've had that problem with all three of the carvers mentioned in the OP.

I've never bought a Dunhill so I've never had a problem with one.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Claret has an acrylic stem and its fitment to the stem was just a hair off, so it was sold.

Had I only known George Dibos could have made a beautiful vulcanite stem for it...

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
This will be a bespoke pipe from Mr Craig. It will be a Brindle LX Bent Bulldog with Silver band

Status
Not open for further replies.