***What Are You Smoking *** (Sept. 2014)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just as I was preparing to go to sleep, I heard the sad news that my long time friend, Stan Goldberg died. He started working at Marvel in 1949 as a staff colorist and colored nearly every single Marvel Comics cover from 1950 until the mid-1960s. He color designed all the Marvel super-heroes and villains from that time period, including Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Dr. Doom, etc. For ten years, he drew Patsy Walker and Millie the Model for Marvel. He drew several features for DC Comics. For 40 years, he drew thousands and thousands of pages for Archie Comics, and in the last four years of his time at Archie, we drew stories together. I was his biographer and we were very close friends. He was a gentleman and a great man, and he will greatly missed by all of us. As Edward G. Robinson was one of his favorite actors, and you folks know he was one of mine, in his honor I will smoke Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 1982 black sandblasted paneled slight bend Savinelli flat bottom sitter. RIP Stan.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am so sorry to hear of your friends passing Jimlinks. I am smoking the same thing as I smoke every month - Condor & Twist as I have run out of Tambo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Condolences Jim. I'm smoking Cornell & Diehl Dark Burley, which I believe is a single-leaf burley not a blend,

in an unfinished Savenelli panel billiard with a square shank and saddle stem. This is mean to be a Labor Day

smoke, single leaf, down-market pipe.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
@jiminks I'm so sorry for your loss. Very hard to lose a close friend, especially when someone also makes such a contribution in your chosen field.
I was cursing the fact that - yet again and as always - I was caught out by the month change and posted numerous times to the old month, but that news put it in perspective. I honestly just haven't got the brains God gave a fish! Now smoking Capstan Gold in a little black, blasted Portland miniweight Zulu.
Andy

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
50/50 mix McClelland Bulk VBC - Vanilla Black Cavendish and 1Q in a Carey Magic Inch ...

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
My condolences Jiminks on the passing of your long time friend.
Now smoking GLPease Montgomery in a MM Cob.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you fellas for the kind words. They are greatly appreciated.
Finally did get some sleep, and am now smoking FVF in a 2014 Savinelli Gaius smooth brown slight bend black acrylic military mount 320KS author. All my smokes today are in Stan's honor. Stan used to be a pipe smoker, and would have appreciated the sentiment.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
GLP Cairo in a slightly bent, smooth Charatan Belvedere 260DC. Next up last legs of breaking in The Tiddler with Solani 656 and The Gabrieli Stack with Bombay Court.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.