*** What Are You Smoking? *** (October, 2019)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
How does Escudo age? I've been considering stocking some to age.
It mellows but doesn’t become any sweeter. Overall “darker” in tone (and color). Smoother. The mouth feel seems a bit thicker, but not much. It’s pretty monotone through the bowl, but it’s a good monotone. It also seems to become a really good blending ingredient, especially with Burleys.

If I had to guess it probably didn’t improve a lot after the first 5 years. It was probably even more complex with less age.

It doesn’t become transcendent but it’s worth cellaring, especially given that it’s not very expensive.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a very short snooze, and am now smoking C&D Burley Ribbon Cut in a 1970s slight bend black sandblasted Comoy's Silver Cloud 624 sitter with a silver pearl gray acrylic saddle stem. This will get me to dinner time. Watching the Rays-Astros game.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Esoterica Scarborough in a BriarWorks Dublin (C61). Dried a little longer than I had intended, but that seems to have helped rather than hurt.

I find Scarborough really opens up when it’s bone dry and packed tighter than usual.

I’m smoking my after work rollie with a blend of Sutliff red Virginia and Blended Turkish Ribbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.