PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
After reading “On The Road” and “And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks” I needed another Kerouac. Currently I’m reading “Dharma Bums”.
That's a good one. Gary Snyder (Japhy Ryder in the book) is still with us and still active.

Reactions: burleyboy

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Have you read "Maggie Cassidy" or "Desolation Angels" ?

Not yet, but AKpiper had recomended "Dharma Bums" and "Desolation Angels" to me, but I'll put "Maggie Cassidy" on my list. The ones from my post above are the only Kerouacs I've read yet. Though I really liked all I've read of him. It gives an iea of what kind of freedom they had in the 50ies / 60ies... From today's view it seems hard to believe.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thanks of all the recommendations! I guess, I'll work my way through them. It's always good to have a writer to rely on.

It is hard to believe that Japhy Ryder ist based on a real person. Though the same is for Neal Cassadady

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
If you like Kerouac, Hunter Thompson may be in your vein. The Rum Diary might be the best introduction, because I think it's most approachable. Hell's Angels is pretty funny.

I don't subscribe to his lifestyle -well, some parts of it- but I'm sure glad that guy lived and wrote some things down. Even reading some of his Rolling Stone contributions is a good way to step back into time with a little weirdness sprinkled in.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Just finished a cigar magazine. Not to be mistaken for cigar aficionado. I guess I'm on the wrong forum. :oops:Although, I have some back issues of pipe magazines of course. I will get to reading.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just finishing up: Murder Machine by Gene Mustain & Jerry Capeci.

It's about a gang of Gambino mobsters and their pals who set up a murder for hire business in the Murder inc. mold. They were quite successful apparently as they are believed to have killed up to 200 people during the 70's & 80's. They also had a very unique (for mobsters) method of killing and body disposal that was as gory as it was effective.
An interesting read and highly recommended if this sort of thing interests you.

Chris.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
All the Kings Men, by Robert Penn Warren. Pulitzer winner. Fictional account of Huey Long, easily one of the most interesting men in U.S. political history.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
New Stephen Hunter, it's great ,as usual.

content

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Something Deeply Hidden, by Sean Carroll, which is a non-technical explanation of The Many Worlds Theory Of Quantum Mechanics, and the author's clarion call for a renewed interest in the foundations of quantum theory. (Somewhere, there's a copy of me with a cellar stuffed to the rafters with Stonehaven.)

J.Henry845

Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
I have been rereading a few books I have not read in 10+ years. Just started Feast of Snakes by Harry Crews.

I purchased it used on Amazon and when I opened it up to read for the first time there was a note written on the flyleaf that was not noted in the item description.-

"Mary - This is one of my favorites, for the dark side of the South that resides in us all. Love, Jay"

My name is Jay as well, crazy coincidence. That inscription fit the tone of the book perfectly. When I see the book in my bookcase I always think of these 2 people's shared experience and what relationship they may or may not have had.

I highly recommend Harry Crews, if you can find his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.