What Are You Aging and When Will You Smoke It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Pappymac. Have you ever smoked a tin of 30 year old Virginia? It is GOOD! Ihave an old 7 oz tin of Macbaren Va #1 from the 1970's as an example. It is areal treat to dip into when the mood is right. You simply cannot get that kind of depth and flavor from something fresh IMHO. With the price I paid for this at auction, it was a poor investment for the fellow wo sold it. Clearly, some blends have the potential for increasing in value but many really don't. If tobacco prices should rise to the level of Canada or Australia for example, I would be hard pressed to buy it. I have simply been putting away tobaccos for improvement AND for that rainy day that is sure to come. Been doing so since I read Hacker's The Ultimate Pipe Book back in the early 1990's.
Mike S.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I don't really have a game plan on when to smoke this stuff, but as for aging tins & mason jars I have:
- about 1.5 lbs of Luxury Navy Flake

- pound of Luxury Bullseye Flake

- Without going to count, between 6-10 tins each of:

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I just ordered 10 tins of McCranies Red Flake (tinned in 2015) and 10 tins of McCranies Red Ribbon (tinned in 2012). All made using a 2008 crop of straight Virginia. If you want some aged tobacco without the wait, it's one of the best bangs for the buck. (The other being McClellands' Christmas Cheer each year). $12.50 gets you an instant tin of 9 year old tobacco that's been in the tin for 5 years already. And they are good folks.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
screwed up my earlier post. Here's the edit that timed itself out:
I don't really have a game plan on when I'm going to open & smoke this stuff, I just play it by ear. I try to hide it in the cabinet and just forget about it. And I mostly succeed. as for aging tins and mason jars I have squirreled away in the DO NOT SMOKE area of my cabinet:
- about 1.5 lbs of Luxury Navy Flake

- pound of Luxury Bullseye Flake

- 1/2 pound of Pipeworks & Wilke No. 10

- 1/2 pound of Pipeworks & Wilke Bestmake

- 1/2 pound of Pipeworks & Wilke High Hat
- Without going over to the cabinet to count, between 6-10 tins each of:

McConnell's Original Oriental

McConnell's Scottish Cake

GL Pease Haddo's Delight

GL Pease Cairo

Dunhill London Mixture

Escudo
- One or three tins set aside for aging of:

Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique

McClelland Drama Reserve

McClelland Classic Samsun

GL Pease Fillmore

GL Pease Cumberland

Low Country Waccamaw

Solani 633

Dunhill Royal Yacht

SPC Plum Pudding
1-2 oz. aging testers in small mason jars:

McClelland No. 5115

McClelland No. 2015

C&D Exhausted Rooster
I suppose I need to add to the Pipeworks & Wilke stash as a buyer does not appear forthcoming.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Escudo ages very well, I have some tins socked away. The last tin I opened had three years on it and I think I disturbed the process, but after a day or so in the jar it became very sweet and marvelous.
I had a four year old tin of Orlik Golden Sliced that I received in a trade and it was so fantastic, so I have some of those socked away as well.
Most of my cellar I plan to smoke years from now. My wife calls it my 401(t).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unless you guys are smoking a pound a day, I don't see any problem no matter what happens with FDA regs or tobacco prices or taxes. It sounds like everyone is set if they live to be 115. Then we'll all have a crisis on our hands. Mayhem in assisted living.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Lots of stuff and possibly never.
+1000
I never have anyone to smoke with, so I tend to stick to whatever is open. I have a lot of open samples/tins/partial ounces. I may never get to my cellar. lol

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Same here, Wyfbane. And despite having two dozen open tins and another two dozen open jars, I find myself reaching for the same 3 or 4 blends most of the time. Crazy, really.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I've got several kilos of nasal snuff cellared away, but I use pipe tobacco as it comes in. The only thing I "cellar" are ones that dried out on me. I mix them up and jar them, and tuck that away for dire emergencies.
I'm sure that'll make come folks cringe, but it works for me. I don't see the point of spending good money on good pipe tobacco and not using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.