What Am I Looking For In Burley Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
+1 on dry cocoa, nuttiness, and earthiness. Generally cool smoking with plenty of body.

Lately I’ve been enjoying Stokkebye 702. It’s an inexpensive straight burley (with a tiny hint of dark fired burley in there too). It’s simple, tasty, and has medium strength/body. It’s great straight but I use it as my blending burley to good result.

I’m a Va fan primarily, so I’m sure some of the burleyholics could give you more recommendations, but my favorite burley blends are PS 702, Mac Baren HH Burley Flake, GL Pease Barbary Coast, and C&D Redburn

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Unfortunately, because Australia has made it near impossible to import tobacco, it won’t be easy for me to get my hands on some of the blends you guys are recommending.

The burleys that I do have are the Aged Burley Flake, which is meant to be one of the best, and Old Dark Fired. I don’t know if the latter would be a good representation of burleys or more dark fired Kentucky, which is technically a burley as well I guess. I also have a tin of Stonehenge Flake, but not sure if that is considered a burley forward blend.

I may just need to stick with ABF for a good number of smokes to see if I can get those earthy nutty cacao flavours.

Reactions: didimauw

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Try to parse-out Burley's nuttiness and un-sweet cocoa flavors, as well as a woody component. Moreover, Burley possesses, for lack of better terms, a certain heft, body, or whole mouth feel that Virginias, for all their subtlety, just don't provide. Little wonder, then, that Virginias are used to sweeten Burley, and Burley is used to bolster Virginias.

Check out a pro's discussion: Burley – The Rodney Dangerfield of Tobacco | PipesMagazine.com - http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/burley-the-rodney-dangerfield-of-tobacco/

Thanks for the link to the article. It’s a great article on what burley has to offer.

Reactions: UncleRasta

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
In my humble opinion aside of reputable C&D, Mc Barens produce some very fine burley tobacco, as well
I have to agree with Paulie on this one. HH Burley Flake stands right up there with the Solani, and it has the definite advantage of being readily available. Golden Extra is also a winner. Both are always in my rotation.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
You may be like me, I had difficulty appreciating burley at first. It almost seems like my palette changed a bit to adapt to it. Lots of good blends suggested here. McB navy flake would be a gentle entry to burley, as would their HH burley flake. CD Redburn was not an instant love for me but I ended up loving it. Warhorse ready rubbed might also be a gentle intro to burley flavors. Haunted bookshop and Old Joe Krantz are both excellent but might need come after you’ve embraced burley a bit.

Reactions: tobefrank

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
You may be like me, I had difficulty appreciating burley at first. It almost seems like my palette changed a bit to adapt to it. Lots of good blends suggested here. McB navy flake would be a gentle entry to burley, as would their HH burley flake. CD Redburn was not an instant love for me but I ended up loving it. Warhorse ready rubbed might also be a gentle intro to burley flavors. Haunted bookshop and Old Joe Krantz are both excellent but might need come after you’ve embraced burley a bit.
I keep cellaring vapers but I really need to get both haunted bookshop and old now Krantz to try. They always come very recommend. Do burleys age well?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Burleys reputedly don't change much with age compared to Virginias or oriental leaf, but they don't lose their flavor either the way Latikia can.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find burlies as complex as va it's just that it lacks that acid (citrus) sharpness. So the flavors it has are more muted and homogenized. That doesn't make it less complex but it makes it seem less complex. Add a tiny bit of virginian to it and they pop hence why some the C&D blends are so incredible.

Reactions: tobefrank
Status
Not open for further replies.