What Am I Looking For In Burley Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I have mainly been smoking VAs, VA/Pers and mild English blends like McClelland Wilderness.

I have a jar of Solani Aged Burley Flake that I smoke the occasional bowl of. Compared to the other tobaccos, the ABF appears to give me less pronounced flavours.

Is this normal for burley blends? What am I looking for in terms of flavours? Are burley blends more subtle?

Reactions: tnfan

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have mainly been smoking VAs, VA/Pers and mild English blends like McClelland Wilderness.

I have a jar of Solani Aged Burley Flake that I smoke the occasional bowl of. Compared to the other tobaccos, the ABF appears to give me less pronounced flavours.

Is this normal for burley blends? What am I looking for in terms of flavours? Are burley blends more subtle?
Cocoa, nuttiness, those are flavors I find in Burley. They provide the backbone for a great many blends, and are a staple in OTCs. I haven't been much of a Burley smoker, mostly because they can also provide quite a Nic wallop and I'm not interested in that. I'm a fan of Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut, which provides a great break from Virginias and Va/Pers when they begin to bore. Watch City has some great Burley based blends. I've been told that C&D has really good Burley options, that Burley is their strength.
LIke anything else in life, if you want to find out what it's about you need to experience it.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley is a favorite of mine as base tobacco, single-leaf, or condiment. I've never heard it described as seemingly subtle before. sable' finds it high in nicotine, and most do, but I don't seem to react to it much, and don't feel cravings when I miss my pipe for a few days. For me, burley has a sturdy earthy stance, with (yes) the nutty and cocoa flavors. You could try some English blend with burley, like Nat Sherman 536 or PC Midtown Chestnut which can be sampled in a baggie for about six bucks. Cornell & Diehl are among the master burley blenders and does a huge array of burley inclusive blends in highly imaginative ways. But take it slow. Find one or two burley blends you find pleasant, and keep your sampling in small quantities so you can sample widely. To me it is wonderful "stuff," but I have often said, some people can't taste burley at all; some detest it; and some love it, and that last category is me. I find some burley harsh, and other over-flavored (aromatics) but many single-leaf brands and blends I enjoy.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Start out with some blends that have a high burley content then move into straight burley. C&D's Briar Fox helped me start to appreciate burley blends more recently. I never would have tried it if it weren't for didimauw's incessant praise for it, and a fortunate acquisition of a tin sent to me as an extra by a forum member. It has kindled a new appreciation for burley blends for me and I am starting to appreciate them a bit more now.

If I had to eliminate one type of tobacco forever, I still wouldn't hesitate to shoot burley right in the brains, but I am starting to like them a bit more.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Try to parse-out Burley's nuttiness and un-sweet cocoa flavors, as well as a woody component. Moreover, Burley possesses, for lack of better terms, a certain heft, body, or whole mouth feel that Virginias, for all their subtlety, just don't provide. Little wonder, then, that Virginias are used to sweeten Burley, and Burley is used to bolster Virginias.

Check out a pro's discussion: Burley – The Rodney Dangerfield of Tobacco | PipesMagazine.com - http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/burley-the-rodney-dangerfield-of-tobacco/

Last edited:

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
For years I avoided burley because it had the reputation of being basically cheap filler for codger blends and flavored aromatics. It's only in the last few years that I've come to appreciate it on it's own merits. Old Joe Krantz has become a regular smoke for me and it's helped changed my mind on the leaf. It's a bit on the strong side, but might be worth a try in your burley exploration.

Reactions: UncleRasta

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true, the extensive use of burley in over-the-counter U.S. blends gave it a thoroughly codger reputation, though some of those blends are quite good and remain popular with both codgers and others. I think it was the old Cornell & Diehl under original ownership that took a whole new perspective on burley and brought to it some sophisticated blending, something which Jeremy at Smokingpipes.com's C&D shop has sustained and elaborated so well. Today, some true uptown blends include burley in their blends to fine effect.

Reactions: logs

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I'm still a newbie but I have found I like Chatham Manor, Mac Baren Navy Flake, and C&D's Redburn. Now, I know none of those are pure burleys, they all have a topping of one type or another. I'm still trying to get my head around Haunted Bookshop.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
This is a very simple reply, as Ive only tried one burley flake... But what I look for is a ton nicotine. Strongest stuff Ive ever tried is burley. I love it for that reason.

Reactions: didimauw

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Start out with some blends that have a high burley content then move into straight burley. C&D's Briar Fox helped me start to appreciate burley blends more recently. I never would have tried it if it weren't for didimauw's incessant praise for it, and a fortunate acquisition of a tin sent to me as an extra by a forum member. It has kindled a new appreciation for burley blends for me and I am starting to appreciate them a bit more now.

If I had to eliminate one type of tobacco forever, I still wouldn't hesitate to shoot burley right in the brains, but I am starting to like them a bit more.
Told ya so! Haha

Reactions: logs

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I am more of a VA/PER guy but every once in a while I reach for the HH Burley blend which is pretty good and also mixes well with some ps twisted flake if you would like to add some kick! I enjoyed it enough to purchase some several tins of it and Solani aged burly flake that is supposed to very very good.The best part about HH is that it's readily available, even at your local b&m.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Status
Not open for further replies.